30 | 𝕥𝕙𝕖 𝕓𝕒𝕝𝕝𝕤

chapter 30
___
ᴡᴏʀʀʏ ɴᴇᴠᴇʀ ʀᴏʙꜱ ᴛᴏᴍᴏʀʀᴏᴡ ᴏꜰ ɪᴛꜱ ꜱᴏʀʀᴏᴡ, ɪᴛ ᴏɴʟʏ ꜱᴀᴘꜱ ᴛᴏᴅᴀʏ ᴏꜰ ɪᴛꜱ ᴊᴏʏ.

chapter 30___ᴡᴏʀʀʏ ɴᴇᴠᴇʀ ʀᴏʙꜱ ᴛᴏᴍᴏʀʀᴏᴡ ᴏꜰ ɪᴛꜱ ꜱᴏʀʀᴏᴡ, ɪᴛ ᴏɴʟʏ ꜱᴀᴘꜱ ᴛᴏᴅᴀʏ ᴏꜰ ɪᴛꜱ ᴊᴏʏ

...Lucas

I went away for barely ten minutes and someone snuck into my room and snatched my mate. My mind races with multiple possibilities on who could have had the balls to do this to me, defy me and even take something of importance away from me? I didn't build up my reputation of a horrible, powerful Alpha for nothing. People's fear of me fueled me and my powers. Not that anyone knew of my inherited abilities just yet.

My hands curl into fists as anger begins coursing through my veins once again. My wolf stirs in the back of my mind, also enraged by the loss of our mate. We stay standing, just a few feet away from my empty bed that's still enveloped by Melanie's sweet scent. How many times had we lost her again? Three? How many times had we failed to keep her safe? 

'Definitely more than three,' Jake growls, hanging his head in shame. I know I'm projecting my anger to the rest of my Pack but if anyone of them did this and I find out, which I probably will, they're done for. Forget being banished, they won't leave my Pack alive. This is a direct challenge to me, their Alpha, and a betrayal to Melanie, their Luna. There's a traitor in my Pack, probably an acquaintance of Caine's, and I'm going to weasel them out with the opportunity of a lifetime. Did I mention the asshole tried escaping last month? He failed miserably so that's one assurance.

Jeremy, my Beta, is the first person to storm into my bedroom, but his face mirrors his confusion as his eyes dart from my towel-clad self, to the empty bed, and then back to my fuming face. More people join Jeremy - warriors and some other worried Packmates that had helped me reach my potential when I first became Alpha. They all murmur, wincing at the severity of my rage and baffled as they try to find out what's making me so mad, asking questions along the lines of, "What's wrong, Alpha?"

"What's wrong?" I hiss, realizing maybe I shouldn't be so crude to these people because none of them would ever go against me. I've known them too long and they've been here a long time, every step of the way as I became the Alpha I am today. I pinch the bridge of my nose. I haven't even properly introduced Melanie to the Pack yet so the only people that know of her importance are a few doctors, a few trusted warriors, Jeremy and most of the people crowding my room right now. I get straight to the point. "My mate's fucking gone. She couldn't have just gotten up and left. She may have healed but it's been months and she's in unknown territory. Someone kidnapped her and waltzed right past under our fucking noses and through the increased security. I know it. Call it instincts or whatever. We have a rat on our hands."

A bunch of perplexed gazes are trained on me as my people think through what I've said and the austerity of the situation before they realize that I might be right. Of course I'm right, I wouldn't have gotten this far in life, especially as an Alpha, if I didn't know things. Jeremy speaks up, representing the voice of the people as I mull over how I should probably go put on clothes. Wearing just a towel hanging low on my hips is probably considered indecent. "You're probably right, Alpha Lucas, but who could it have been? What are you going to do with them?"