12 | 𝕗𝕒𝕚𝕣𝕪 𝕘𝕠𝕕𝕞𝕠𝕥𝕙𝕖𝕣

chapter 12
___
ᴀ ʙʀᴏᴋᴇɴ ʜᴇᴀʀᴛ ɪꜱ ᴊᴜꜱᴛ ᴛʜᴇ ɢʀᴏᴡɪɴɢ ᴘᴀɪɴꜱ ɴᴇᴄᴇꜱꜱᴀʀʏ ꜱᴏ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ʏᴏᴜ ᴄᴀɴ ʟᴏᴠᴇ ᴍᴏʀᴇ ᴄᴏᴍᴘʟᴇᴛᴇʟʏ ᴡʜᴇɴ ᴛʜᴇ ʀᴇᴀʟ ᴛʜɪɴɢ ᴄᴏᴍᴇꜱ ᴀʟᴏɴɢ.

chapter 12___ᴀ ʙʀᴏᴋᴇɴ ʜᴇᴀʀᴛ ɪꜱ ᴊᴜꜱᴛ ᴛʜᴇ ɢʀᴏᴡɪɴɢ ᴘᴀɪɴꜱ ɴᴇᴄᴇꜱꜱᴀʀʏ ꜱᴏ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ʏᴏᴜ ᴄᴀɴ ʟᴏᴠᴇ ᴍᴏʀᴇ ᴄᴏᴍᴘʟᴇᴛᴇʟʏ ᴡʜᴇɴ ᴛʜᴇ ʀᴇᴀʟ ᴛʜɪɴɢ ᴄᴏᴍᴇꜱ ᴀʟᴏɴɢ

...Melanie

When the shadowy man finally speaks, his voice is low, yet deep and enticing, with a silent promise of danger hidden behind every word. "Why is a beautiful little she-wolf like you doing out here, all alone?" 

The man steps out from the shadows to reveal his blood-covered chest and menacing gaze. I recoil, wishing I could disappear into the shadows. This can't end well for me, not with the look on the male's face. I hesitantly sniff the air to catch his scent but it's as if there is none. Every creature on the Earth has a significant and unique scent. Everyone except for this man, it seems. Maybe my senses aren't working properly because of how drunk I was before. Maybe I'm still not sober.

He takes a step closer and I stiffen all the same. I can't decipher the exact features of his face but his body structure displays immense power and, seeing as there's blood all over him, a threat. The man comes within two meters of me where I'm trying to hide behind the tree. He crouches and tilts his head, obviously practicing caution. If he's any sort of supernatural being, then he knows who I am. Melanie, an Alpha's daughter, and Lucas's mate. News always travels fast in our world.

I wince as I move a little, trembling, and my wound sends pain through my body. "I-I'm not alone." I murmur, placing my hand over my injury. The blood loss is slowly getting to me and sooner or later, I won't be able to defend myself at all. It's better now than never. My head spins. I think I'm still drunk.

"Is that so?" He whispers, his voice contorts as he continues to speak and I shudder because I can't think of any creature with such a terrifying voice. "There isn't anyone but you and me for hundreds of kilometers around us, little wolf." The man moves closer until he's barely a foot away from my shivering body, and then he holds his hand out, seemingly shocking both him and I. "I'm Caine."

I stare at his outstretched hand. "Melanie." Then I tear my eyes away to look at his face where the shadows had disappeared from. There's a thin layer of stubble on Caine's face with splatters of blood all over his chin and lower jaw, but I can still see his hidden sharp jawline. His hair's a dirty blonde, set in a mess on top of his head. What terrifies me the most are his sharp, light blue eyes that remind me of my mate's own icy eyes. There isn't a trace of emotion at all in them. "W-why should I trust you?" I should've known better than to encourage the beast.

"Because both you and I have been through too much, despite not having deserved any of it." Caine says in a low, gentle voice, waving his hand slightly in front of my face. My eyes lower to his calloused hand once more before rising to his bare, defined chest. It glistened with blood and traces of sweat but my eyes looked past that to his chiseled shoulders and the thin line of hair that ran down his rock-hard abdomen and into his pants. I gulp slowly at how easy it would be for him to do whatever he wants to me, even though for some reason, I can't seem to care.