20 | 𝕚𝕟 𝕥𝕙𝕖𝕚𝕣 𝕡𝕒𝕟𝕥𝕤

chapter 20
___
ɪꜰ ᴘᴇᴏᴘʟᴇ ʀᴇꜰᴜꜱᴇ ᴛᴏ ʟᴏᴏᴋ ᴀᴛ ʏᴏᴜ ɪɴ ᴀ ɴᴇᴡ ʟɪɢʜᴛ ᴀɴᴅ ᴛʜᴇʏ ᴄᴀɴ ᴏɴʟʏ ꜱᴇᴇ ʏᴏᴜ ꜰᴏʀ ᴡʜᴀᴛ ʏᴏᴜ ᴡᴇʀᴇ, ᴏɴʟʏ ꜱᴇᴇ ʏᴏᴜ ꜰᴏʀ ᴛʜᴇ ᴍɪꜱᴛᴀᴋᴇꜱ ʏᴏᴜ'ᴠᴇ ᴍᴀᴅᴇ, ɪꜰ ᴛʜᴇʏ ᴅᴏɴ'ᴛ ʀᴇᴀʟɪᴢᴇ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ʏᴏᴜ ᴀʀᴇ ɴᴏᴛ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴍɪꜱᴛᴀᴋᴇꜱ, ᴛʜᴇɴ ᴛʜᴇʏ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴛᴏ ɢᴏ.

chapter  20___ɪꜰ ᴘᴇᴏᴘʟᴇ ʀᴇꜰᴜꜱᴇ ᴛᴏ ʟᴏᴏᴋ ᴀᴛ ʏᴏᴜ ɪɴ ᴀ ɴᴇᴡ ʟɪɢʜᴛ ᴀɴᴅ ᴛʜᴇʏ ᴄᴀɴ ᴏɴʟʏ ꜱᴇᴇ ʏᴏᴜ ꜰᴏʀ ᴡʜᴀᴛ ʏᴏᴜ ᴡᴇʀᴇ, ᴏɴʟʏ ꜱᴇᴇ ʏᴏᴜ ꜰᴏʀ ᴛʜᴇ ᴍɪꜱᴛᴀᴋᴇꜱ ʏᴏᴜ'ᴠᴇ ᴍᴀᴅᴇ, ɪꜰ ᴛʜᴇʏ ᴅᴏɴ'ᴛ ʀᴇᴀʟɪᴢᴇ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ʏᴏᴜ ᴀʀᴇ ɴᴏᴛ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴍɪꜱᴛᴀᴋᴇꜱ, ᴛʜᴇɴ ᴛʜᴇʏ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴛᴏ ɢᴏ

...Melanie

I lie awake in the bed, curled up under the blanket, thinking about how unnecessarily shitty my life is and could have been at the moment. At least I have food and shelter and people who claim to care about me, although I wouldn't trust them as far as I can throw them. The Moon casts a pretty pale glow in the bedroom through the fluttering curtains.

It had been a couple of weeks since Caine had found me with a viciously torn stomach and the injury had healed rapidly over the first few days here, leaving white scars in its wake. I hadn't taken Caine up on his offer to heal me since I knew what that would entail and I've been avoiding skin-on-skin contact with him since the kiss.

Over this time, I had come to terms with the fact that Caine had grown on me. Although, as a child, I was taught that all rogues were bad wolves who had been kicked out of their Packs for horrible things and had gone crazy. Wolves are nothing without their Packs, this much I knew.  But I suppose Caine's vampire side had to do something with his sanity. I don't know about Blondie and his friend though; they seemed pretty normal to me too. I haven't seen either of them again, after day one in the castle. I'm afraid Caine has done something bad to them.

Caine and I had talked a couple of times and I had gotten to know what seems like the real him. Not the imposing shithead he was to me before. He had even convinced me to fully agree on dinner with his parents. My feelings for Caine had just grown during this time but I know I still have feelings for Lucas. Was it normal to be fighting feelings for two different men?

Through my open window, I hear the sounds of two voices talking in loud whispers. Curious, I leave the comfort of my bed to peek past the curtains. I recognize one of the people as Caine, through his outline and voice while the other one looks like a tall, blonde female.

Has he been hooking up with this girl, even though he's found me? Lucas 2.0 anyone?

A foreboding feeling unfurls deep within me and I suppress a shudder, focusing on their words using my heightened hearing now.

"Who the fuck are you?" Caine roars, his vampire side obviously trying to take control as his voice drops multiple octaves into a hissing one before clearing up and becoming normal as he inhales and exhales the way he had been practicing with me. He was afraid of losing control to his beasts, especially around me.

"I'm a witch, dickhead!" The woman snaps, strutting out one side and placing both of her hands on her wide hips while throwing her long blond hair back.