26 | 𝕪𝕠𝕦𝕣 𝕒𝕤𝕤

chapter 26
___
ᴡʜᴇɴ ʏᴏᴜ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ʜᴇᴀʀᴛʙʀᴇᴀᴋ, ᴡʜᴀᴛ'ꜱ ɪᴍᴘᴏʀᴛᴀɴᴛ ɪꜱ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ʏᴏᴜ ᴅᴏɴ'ᴛ ɢᴏ ʜᴀʟꜰᴡᴀʏ. ɢᴏ ᴀʟʟ ᴛʜᴇ ᴡᴀʏ ᴅᴏᴡɴ. ᴅᴏɴ'ᴛ ᴛᴀᴋᴇ ᴘɪʟʟꜱ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴋᴇᴇᴘ ʏᴏᴜ ɪɴ ʟɪᴍʙᴏ. ᴄʀʏ ᴏᴜᴛ ᴀʟʟ ᴛʜᴇ ꜰᴇᴇʟɪɴɢꜱ. ᴛʜᴇɴ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴇɴᴇʀɢʏ ꜰᴏʀ ʟɪꜰᴇ ᴡɪʟʟ ᴘᴜᴛ ʏᴏᴜ ᴜᴘ ᴀɢᴀɪɴ. ʏᴏᴜ ʙᴇᴄᴏᴍᴇ ꜱᴛʀᴏɴɢᴇʀ.

 ʏᴏᴜ ʙᴇᴄᴏᴍᴇ ꜱᴛʀᴏɴɢᴇʀ

...Lucas

"LET ME SEE HER!" Jackson growls with Carmen at his side, helping me hold him back while muttering soothing words into her mate's ear. "You can't expect me to just sit still and wait for your ORDERS to go see MY sister." I refrain from acting upon Jackson's demand and subtle desire for power, knowing he's my mate's brother and I've already done enough damage.

Apparently, fate had other plans for my mate, because instead of a happy ending in which I get her back, safe and sound, ready to give me another chance, Melanie had passed out and fallen into a coma, brought on by stress, extreme blood loss, and internal injuries. Her wolf had desperately tried to heal them quickly but she herself was too battered and hence the coma. Jake can't feel her wolf anymore. I hope it's only temporary. Celeste practically grew up with Melanie and there's a deep, unexplainable bond between them, just like with any other human and their wolf. The loss would be like the loss of a sister.

It had been a week since Melanie slipped into her coma, in my arms, just after our victory. I hadn't been able to go near her since. The mate bond demanded that we be side by side but my mind tortured me with thoughts of losing Melanie, either it be mentally if she wakes up, or physically, or her staying in a coma for the rest of her life. I can't see her in a hospital bed again, knowing that it's my fault, again.

When Alex came to me with the report on Melanie's condition, I had left the file to sit and stare at me on my new desk, in my refurnished and fixed office. I couldn't bring myself to look at it for an entire three days before the need to know finally overcame my hurt. As I opened the relatively thick file, I choked on the first page at the picture they had placed in it to identify my mate. This was common procedure for identification and, sometimes, our wolves came back so mauled and beaten, they had to undergo plastics to reconfigure their broken face to what it had originally been. Thankfully, Melanie didn't need that.

The sight of her image was enough for me to shut the file and slam it back onto my desk. But curiosity got the best of me the very next day as I flipped it back open. 

I realized I never got to know her full name or much about her at all. Melanie Fox; she had been born the wrong way, not allowing the doctors to cut her umbilical cord as quickly as usual as it was wrapped tightly around her delicate body, hurting her mother as well. The doctors believed Melanie was dead (thank Goddess she's alive) and that her mother wouldn't live (what a tragedy). Her brother taking all the space in their mother's uterus, most likely causing the tangle, is what the doctors assumed. Melanie didn't have a steady heartbeat or regular breathing for almost two hours after she was born, and she needed to be intubated and kept under tight supervision. 

After that, she hadn't been brought to a doctor since the incident in my prison in which she almost died too. Her injuries had been severe at that time too as she couldn't properly speak because of the continuous pressure on her neck. At that time too, the doctors didn't think she would fully heal, with no scarring, but that had been crossed out seeing as she did. 

As the doctors put her comatose body through multiple tests, they also found that there had been a lot of internal damage that was slowly healing and an unfamiliar substance in her blood. Vampire blood. I let out a low growl at the thought of Caine shoving his blood down my mate's throat. Oddly, her reproductive organs had almost been rearranged too, causing immense confusion. Had she been hurt or was it a transition? A lot of her injuries are on the process of healing, despite her wolf's absence. Probably the vampire blood and the time that's passed.

Needless to say, my mate's a medical miracle. She's a survivor with a weird internal configuration.

I let out a quiet chuckle, recalling where I currently am. "She's sleeping, Jackson." I mutter, not able to properly explain her condition to anyone. Jackson looks nothing like his twin, but just the mere reminder that they're related is painful. "It's better if we let her be and just hope for the best."

"I'm not gonna do anything! It's not like I can, either." He exclaims, throwing his hands up into the air. Carmen and I sigh, realizing he won't leave until he's seen his sister. "I only want to see how she's-" Carmen pushes open the door, somehow managing to get around us arguing, and both Jackson and I turn to watch with bated breath as the door swings open to reveal a white room, with a white bed, and a pale redhead lying, fast asleep, on said bed. My wolf whines at the sight from the back of my mind. "Melanie." Jackson's voice cracks as he looks upon his sister and the pain he's reflecting causes both Carmen and I to wince. 

My sister moves closer to her mate in support and they both walk into the room. I, however, am glued to my spot, wide eyes stuck to my mate. Seeing her in such a state makes it all too real. This is all my fault. I shift my eyes away from her body; seeing her struggling to live, an internal battle that I cannot help with, brings more painful thoughts into my mind. "Luke, get your ass in here." Carmen murmurs softly, appearing in front of me. I shake my head vehemently as the unfamiliar liquid returns to my eyes. "She would want you by her side, after all you've been through."

I let out a shaky laugh, disbelief evident. "You mean, after everything she's been through? That I was the cause of?" Carmen sighs, shaking her head as she grabs onto my shoulders.

"Yes, it was your fault. Is that what you want to hear?" She demands, angry eyes glaring through my pain. "It's your fault that you thought like an idiot instead of being honest from the start." I wince as I remember how much I hurt my own mate in a twisted attempt to push her away and protect her. "It's your fault that she got fed up and ran away." At this point, I can't meet Carmen's eyes, recalling how I had allowed the girl to kiss me, knowing we weren't alone in the hallway. "It's your fault she got caught by Caine, the man that hates your guts, and it's your fault for how he tortured you using Melanie." A tear falls out of my eye as I accept her words, the truth behind them ringing in my ears. The tear trails down my unshaven and gaunt face. I look down. Carmen, with her vice-like grip, shakes me. "But now you've got a chance to make up for everything you've done. To be a proper mate to her. To properly take care of her. Don't waste it."

With that said, she abandons me to my thoughts and returns to her own mate. 

I know it's been a long time but I will gradually continue updating this story

I know it's been a long time but I will gradually continue updating this story. This is just a filler chapter.