7 | 𝕨𝕠𝕦𝕟𝕕𝕖𝕕

chapter 7
___
"ᴇᴠᴇʀ ʜᴀꜱ ɪᴛ ʙᴇᴇɴ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ʟᴏᴠᴇ ᴋɴᴏᴡꜱ ɴᴏᴛ ɪᴛꜱ ᴏᴡɴ ᴅᴇᴘᴛʜ ᴜɴᴛɪʟ ᴛʜᴇ ʜᴏᴜʀ ᴏꜰ ꜱᴇᴘᴀʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴ."

___

Lucas

...Lucas

I pant as I shift mid-jump, running straight to the Pack hospital, past my trail of disaster. Now, like Carmen had said, I couldn't feel the pain anymore. Why I hadn't realized it before, must've been because of the depth of my thoughts and the longing ache and emptiness in my heart.

When I looked into her eyes, I instantly knew she was telling the truth. She never lied anyways. That's why I loved Carmen for who she was. My honest and caring big sister, despite our little disputes. Not that I didn't love my little brother either. Who knew I was capable of love after what I proved by hurting my mate, right? Whatever I had attempted to prove, hopefully worked because, I do actually love people and I do actually care for my mate too (shocker). The people I am close with, don't need the suffering I bring, and most of all, my mate. But it was necessary.

I skid to a stop in front of the hospital, shifting back and fishing out another pair of shorts, hidden in one of the branches of the trees above me. I break out into another suppressed smile when I remember me, my siblings and members of my Pack running around and hiding random articles of clothing around in my territory in case we forgot to bring them along or something.

After I slip the shorts on, I barge into the hospital and storm straight to the elevator, pushing the button to go up to the second floor. The corridors are deserted when I finally reach the floor where my mate had 'died', but I'm pretty sure anyone within a hundred kilometer radius can hear the whoops and screams from her room. I hope they didn't hear or see my uh issue outside. I had been quick to arrive here. Slamming the doors open, my eyes scan every face until they land on the one who was lying back on the hospital bed. All of the doctors immediately exit the room without questions, giving me and my mate some privacy.

"Melanie?" I ask quietly, my voice almost cracking at the end. I should never have treated her that way. But it had to be done. Now, she was safer.

Her head snaps to look at me, glaring at me with the typical fire she held within her green eyes. I hang my head in shame, the smell of her disappointment radiating off of her little figure. She was all skin and bones from the torture of not eating in the dungeons. The little hospital gown covered her front side when she made a move to stand up, but soon she realized that her back was completely bare since it had only been tied at the top. Who the fuck changed her?

Squealing, she looks up at me, both arms trying to cover her back before she winces. Chuckling softly, I grab the clothes that someone must have left for her on a chair beside the door and gently bring them to her. Yes, gently. She was hurting. And it was all my fault.