18 | 𝕔𝕣𝕖𝕖𝕡𝕪 𝕠𝕝𝕕 𝕡𝕖𝕣𝕧

chapter 18
___
ɪ ᴡɪꜱʜ ɪ ᴄᴏᴜʟᴅ ʜᴜʀᴛ ʏᴏᴜ ᴛʜᴇ ᴡᴀʏ ʏᴏᴜ ʜᴜʀᴛ ᴍᴇ. ʙᴜᴛ ɪ ᴋɴᴏᴡ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ɪꜰ ɪ ʜᴀᴅ ᴛʜᴇ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ, ɪ ᴡᴏᴜʟᴅɴ'ᴛ ᴅᴏ ɪᴛ.

 ʙᴜᴛ ɪ ᴋɴᴏᴡ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ɪꜰ ɪ ʜᴀᴅ ᴛʜᴇ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ, ɪ ᴡᴏᴜʟᴅɴ'ᴛ ᴅᴏ ɪᴛ

...Melanie

After I had come to that horrifying realization a couple of days ago, Celeste and I managed to agree on one thing. We would avoid Caine and the vampire bond he shared with me. She didn't want me getting attached to someone that wasn't her mate and I didn't want to get attached with anyone that could end up hurting me either.

It would be best this way. 

"Damn it Melanie." Caine hisses through the wooden door of the ensuite bathroom. He had swung by my room early this morning, where I pretended that the events that occurred exactly four days ago hadn't actually happened. When I heard him coming near the room, I had ran to the bathroom and had locked myself in it. "Just open the door and we can continue talking."

An hour had passed since he had first entered the bedroom and the both of us were still arguing from opposite sides of the door. "I told you, I don't want to talk to you!" I seethe, his infuriating attitude pissing me off once more. 

What had we been arguing about? The beloved bond and how I thought it would be best if we disregard it and Caine should let me go my own way. Of course Caine had completely abolished the idea and said that he wanted to do the bond justice by treating me right and making me the happiest woman in the world. But like I'd always been thinking, it's just too good to be true.

"Then why are you replying to everything I'm saying?" He asks, and I can imagine the smug grin on his stupid face. Had I been a cartoon character, there would have been steam coming out of my ears.

I hesitate. "Cause I'm hoping you'd leave sooner if I answered! I told you I didn't want to go out on a date with you a few days ago. I'm not changing my mind now-" I pause abruptly realizing what I said. He had asked if I wanted to go out for dinner with him today but he never actually mentioned the word 'date'.

"You're forgetting I didn't ask for a date. It's just a casual dinner in a couple of days or so. With the rest of my family." Caine replies, his voice sounding foreign to my ears as soon as he said 'family'.

Was my own family okay? How were they? And most importantly, Caine's rogue family was still alive?

"Family..." I mumble incoherently, falling back into my own thoughts. If Caine had agreed let me leave, the only people I would had left to rely on and live with would be my family.

"Yes. Family." Caine huffs impatiently, having heard and understood what I said.

"Maybe." I answer cautiously. Why the hell did he want me to meet his family? Why so soon? I hadn't accepted him or the bond yet. "But why?"