13 | 𝕨𝕚𝕥𝕥𝕝𝕖 𝕒𝕝𝕨𝕡𝕙𝕒

chapter 13
___
ᴇᴠᴇʀʏ ᴛɪᴍᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ʜᴇᴀʀᴛ ɪꜱ ʙʀᴏᴋᴇɴ, ᴀ ᴅᴏᴏʀᴡᴀʏ ᴄʀᴀᴄᴋꜱ ᴏᴘᴇɴ ᴛᴏ ᴀ ᴡᴏʀʟᴅ ꜰᴜʟʟ ᴏꜰ ɴᴇᴡ ʙᴇɢɪɴɴɪɴɢꜱ, ɴᴇᴡ ᴏᴘᴘᴏʀᴛᴜɴɪᴛɪᴇꜱ.

chapter 13___ᴇᴠᴇʀʏ ᴛɪᴍᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ʜᴇᴀʀᴛ ɪꜱ ʙʀᴏᴋᴇɴ, ᴀ ᴅᴏᴏʀᴡᴀʏ ᴄʀᴀᴄᴋꜱ ᴏᴘᴇɴ ᴛᴏ ᴀ ᴡᴏʀʟᴅ ꜰᴜʟʟ ᴏꜰ ɴᴇᴡ ʙᴇɢɪɴɴɪɴɢꜱ, ɴᴇᴡ ᴏᴘᴘᴏʀᴛᴜɴɪᴛɪᴇꜱ

...Melanie

We had entered the bustling castle. I had entered his home. A place I shouldn't have followed him to. The alcohol I had consumed before and the blood loss had lost its drunken effect on me. I felt like myself once again, except for the fact that I was immobile and extremely exhausted.

"What time is it?" I ask Caine, trying to keep my mind off of the flexing muscles beneath me. We had been moving endlessly for the past two hours and my sore body couldn't take it anymore. I need to stretch. I need to heal. And I need to leave.

"It's one in the morning." He responds indifferently, barely glancing down at me as he walks past stunned people. "Are you tired?" Caine finally meets my gaze and glances down at my sweating figure. But then he looks away again, his emotions masked with not even a hint of the mischievousness he had before.

"What do you think?" I snap, my annoyance and pain triggering my harsh words. Just because we've entered back into the world in the presence of other people didn't mean he has to treat me like I was gum stuck on the bottom of his shoe. I squirm in his grip and his skin touches mine, causing what seems like a bolt of static electricity to run up my arm. But I know better.

He doesn't even look the slightest bit fazed at my anger or the tingles. There is no way this man could be my mate because I already have one. So what kind of sorcery is this? "I'm taking you to a spare room where you'll be cared for."

Caine strides down hallway after hallway, all lit by torches on the walls as if he didn't have any electricity. I like it though, these ancient customs are very appeasing to the eye. However, I don't spend much time pondering over the castle as much as the tingles that had run through me at the contact of our skin. "What are you?" I ask, reaching up to touch his face. Before I can, Caine abruptly lets go of my legs and grabs my wrist, causing the tingles to go up my arm again. He closes his eyes tightly, and I can't tell if it's because of anger caused by my actions or the sparks.

"Don't. Touch. Me. Ever again." He hisses through clenched teeth before letting go of me entirely and letting me stumble a bit as I try to grab onto to something to steady me. Caine disappears as I blink repeatedly to get rid of the stars I see in my eyes, from the pain. Two other men take his place, a few minutes later.

"Damn, I've never seen him that annoyed! He's always so stone-faced." The blonde rogue exclaims giddily. I scoff at his remark and brush it off, still furious. So much for the nice-ish Caine I had met in the forest. "I'm Drake."

"Without any consequences too. Would you like us to take you to the infirmary?" The other man asks me. I nod stiffly, tired of ignoring the throbbing pain. "I'm Trey by the way." A tiny part of me reminds me that Caine had wanted to take me straight to my own room where I could be taken care of. A few seconds later, the same guard speaks up but I can barely hear him over my thoughts. "You should give him a chance, miss, despite that anger you saw. He's probably better than the Alpha of Death."