23 | 𝕥𝕙𝕖 𝕣𝕚𝕥𝕦𝕒𝕝

chapter 23
___
ᴡʜᴇɴ ɪ ᴅᴇꜱᴘᴀɪʀ, ɪ ʀᴇᴍᴇᴍʙᴇʀ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴀʟʟ ᴛʜʀᴏᴜɢʜ ʜɪꜱᴛᴏʀʏ ᴛʜᴇ ᴡᴀʏ ᴏꜰ ᴛʀᴜᴛʜ ᴀɴᴅ ʟᴏᴠᴇ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀʟᴡᴀʏꜱ ᴡᴏɴ. ᴛʜᴇʀᴇ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ʙᴇᴇɴ ᴛʏʀᴀɴᴛꜱ ᴀɴᴅ ᴍᴜʀᴅᴇʀᴇʀꜱ, ᴀɴᴅ ꜰᴏʀ ᴀ ᴛɪᴍᴇ, ᴛʜᴇʏ ᴄᴀɴ ꜱᴇᴇᴍ ɪɴᴠɪɴᴄɪʙʟᴇ, ʙᴜᴛ ɪɴ ᴛʜᴇ ᴇɴᴅ, ᴛʜᴇʏ ᴀʟᴡᴀʏꜱ ꜰᴀʟʟ. ᴛʜɪɴᴋ ᴏꜰ ɪᴛ--ᴀʟᴡᴀʏꜱ.

 ᴛʜɪɴᴋ ᴏꜰ ɪᴛ--ᴀʟᴡᴀʏꜱ

...Melanie

Even though it was just last night where I had said that I was 'entirely' ready to meet his parents, everything had been prepped for brunch. I have less than two hours before I meet Caine's ruthless family (from what I have heard). And I'm not ready at all. After seeing both sides of Caine and personally experiencing them around me, to say I was nervous and dreading noon was an understatement. I was utterly terrified and wanted no more than to run away from my problems.

But that's what cowards do when they don't want to face the truth. Besides, issues follow closely behind, no matter what a person does. I am done running. I've done it enough and it is what's lead me here. Had I stayed and grilled Lucas for the truth, I wouldn't be here right now. I should've known there was more going on than just Lucas cheating on his mate, me, after just showing his acceptance for me.

Or was I done running? A small sliver of doubt was planted in my mind since Alessandra was killed. It still remains there. I fear that if I try to run, I'll be captured and killed the way she was. Unexpectedly and painfully. 

Caine had left me alone, barely forty-five minutes ago, after delivering a dress and urging me to strip out of my clothes to put it on in front of him. I refused to, saying that I needed a quick shower and my makeup done before I could slip into the delicate chiffon material. He, however, still left after complaining for a good two minutes, saying that he would "see everything tonight anyway."

After the shower I just took, I blow dry my long hair and put on a minimal amount of makeup. Just enough so I look like I tried to make an effort. As I stand in front of the bathroom mirror, I trace the area where I had been impaled by the tree branch. If it had struck me any higher, I wouldn't be here right now.

'That would be better than where we are right now, wouldn't it have, Melanie?' Celeste sneers, wagging her tail in annoyance. She still wants nothing more than to be back by her mate's side. And at this point, I regret the fact that we're not. Then, brushing aside my thoughts, I gingerly slip the dress on, disgust creeping into me at how tight and short it was. The dress was obviously a size or two too small and Caine knew my exact size.

This really shows how much of a pervy idiot he is.

Against my own will, I decide to suck it up and put on the pair of matching blue flats that Caine had handed to me with the bodycon dress. As I meet the gaze of my reflection, the fear and hesitancy is evident in my eyes, my face filled with fatigue. Fatigue caused by my life and how I haven't been able to have a moment of proper peace since I've met my mate. Maybe once we would've resolved all of Lucas's past problems, we would've been able to be happy. But these are all would haves, could haves, and should haves.