21 | 𝕥𝕖𝕒𝕤𝕚𝕟𝕘 𝕝𝕚𝕥𝕥𝕝𝕖 𝕓𝕠𝕕𝕪

chapter 21
___
ᴛʜᴇʀᴇ ᴀʀᴇ ᴛʜɪɴɢꜱ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴅᴏɴ'ᴛ ᴡᴀɴᴛ ᴛᴏ ʜᴀᴘᴘᴇɴ ʙᴜᴛ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴛᴏ ᴀᴄᴄᴇᴘᴛ, ᴛʜɪɴɢꜱ ᴡᴇ ᴅᴏɴ'ᴛ ᴡᴀɴᴛ ᴛᴏ ᴋɴᴏᴡ ʙᴜᴛ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴛᴏ ʟᴇᴀʀɴ, ᴀɴᴅ ᴘᴇᴏᴘʟᴇ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ'ᴛ ʟɪᴠᴇ ᴡɪᴛʜᴏᴜᴛ ʙᴜᴛ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴛᴏ ʟᴇᴛ ɢᴏ.

chapter 21___ᴛʜᴇʀᴇ ᴀʀᴇ ᴛʜɪɴɢꜱ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴅᴏɴ'ᴛ ᴡᴀɴᴛ ᴛᴏ ʜᴀᴘᴘᴇɴ ʙᴜᴛ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴛᴏ ᴀᴄᴄᴇᴘᴛ, ᴛʜɪɴɢꜱ ᴡᴇ ᴅᴏɴ'ᴛ ᴡᴀɴᴛ ᴛᴏ ᴋɴᴏᴡ ʙᴜᴛ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴛᴏ ʟᴇᴀʀɴ, ᴀɴᴅ ᴘᴇᴏᴘʟᴇ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ'ᴛ ʟɪᴠᴇ ᴡɪᴛʜᴏᴜᴛ ʙᴜᴛ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴛᴏ ʟᴇᴛ ɢᴏ

...Lucas

A whole week had passed before I had been able to tame my alcohol and anger addictions. My wolf had been furious with me the entire time, ensuring that I got it all out of my system before facing the other Alphas again. He didn't want us making a fool out of ourselves, especially when it had taken so long to build up our reputation and the reputation of our Pack's. 

As each day passes, I crave Melanie more, with every fiber of my being, even though I know I won't be able to do anything about her situation, not until the day of her Mating Ceremony. Neither my wolf and I want to wait until then, but we have to. If we lose control at all, we are supposed to be chained and detained.

I bend forward and cradle my head in my hands. With the war prep going on full-time and the loss of my mate, I hadn't slept in a whole three days and it's now catching up to me. Each and every tiny sound bothers me, enraging both me and my wolf. Our mind was hyperaware of every little thing. So when my office door is gently opened, we can't help but hiss and pull our hair at the sound. "Alpha?" A meek voice inquires and I raise my head to meet the eyes of the male I had in charge of all of our mail. I assess his figure and notice the dark blue envelope clutched tightly in his left hand.

"Yes?" I raise an eyebrow at the terrified werewolf, inclining my head slightly to show that I give him permission to enter my office. He dashes to my desk, drops off the letter, and runs away, quietly shutting the door behind him. Was I that terrifying that pups in my own pack were terrified of me?

I shake my thoughts away and turn to the odd-coloured letter, its giant white cursive letters almost blindingly bright compared to how dark my entire office is. The writing is unfamiliar. The only letter I'm currently anticipating was Gabriel's, since his pack was the closest to Caine's 'territory.' I quickly tear it open, a sense of dread filling my entire being. My wolf brings himself forward, so that he's opening the letter right alongside me.

As we read it through, confusion replaces the dread we feel. 'What does this mean?' My wolf roars, pacing back and forth as he retreats into my mind. Neither of us know the answer to his question. I slam my hands down onto my desk at the fact that I am so unknowledgeable. My office doors fly open with a crack as they slap the wall beside them. Jeremy storms into the room, in attack position. Once he realizes there's no threat and his eyes fall onto my shaking figure, he's quick to storm over and check me for any injuries.

"What the fuck is this?" I growl, shoving the wrinkled paper in my hand into Jeremy's face instead. My Beta takes the possibly cursed letter from my hand and his eyebrows knit in confusion as he reads it over. I know, I know, we should've checked the unknown letter for any hidden magic or tricks but I was impatient and I was expecting news on my mate, not this.