17 - Surprising Visit

Keeping the secret from Bridgette was becoming much, much harder. They both spent a lot of time in Marinette's room, and that is usually her safe place to talk to Tikki. That's her time to relax after a battle. It's a place to transform without being seen.

She gave in and told Bridgette.

She was expecting it, which made things much easier. Marinette would always run away whenever there was an Akuma battle, disappear late at night, and she doesn't really make an effort to change her look when she has the mask on.

And Bridgette was more than thrilled! She was so happy that her cousin was saving Paris, and vowed to keep her secret like her life depended on it... and it kind of did. If Hawkmoth knew someone knew their identities, he would do anything to get an advantage on the heroes.

Marinette did not reveal Chat Noir, though, and claimed she had little idea of who it was.

The summer went by slowly. Marinette worked at the bakery with Felix, and Bridgette helped out. Bridgette and Marinette would make deliveries, sometimes with Felix. Marinette and Bridgette helped run the front of the store with Sabine, while Felix was getting a good grip on baking with Tom. He fell in love with baking, and didn't want to stop working at the bakery after the summer was over.

Alya got stuck babysitting her sisters most days. She also had the exciting job of running the Ladyblog with her newest blog advisor Bridgette. Nino went on vacation with his family and other than that, he did a lot of DJing.

As much as everyone hated school, they wanted it to start up again. Not for the classes, or the stress, but to see the friends they hadn't seen much all summer and a place to socialize.

So with three weeks left until school started, it was time to start planning. Alya, Marinette, and Bridgette would go back-to-school shopping the coming weekend. Felix would be prepared to see Adrien again, who was coming back only a day before school starts. And Nino had to finish off DJ gigs.

Like they did for Adrien leaving, Tom and Sabine wanted to have another party for the end of summer. Sadly, this time, Adrien wouldn't be attending. But they would surely do another one eventually, one that Adrien could be at.

"Does Felix know?" Bridgette asked Marinette that night before she had to head out for patrol.

Marinette thought for a moment, unsure if she should lie or not. "Yes, he caught me transform once," Marinette said. "I should really be going now, he gets worried..."

"Be safe," Bridgette nodded.

Felix had been gone all day. He took a day off work saying he had special business to attend to thanks to his father and Nathalie. Marinette wasn't sure if he would be there for patrol, since he had been out all day. But she could hope.

Marinette flung herself to the normal meeting spot and opened her yo-yo to see if it would pick up Chat Noir's baton.

It did. He was moving right towards her.

He was a bit of a ways away, so she sat down to watch the lights of Paris fade out.

A few moments later, she heard foot steps land on the roof. "Hey, Noir," Marinette called. "Wanna sit before we protect Paris?"

"Of course," He walked over and sat next to her. "It's been a while, Bug," He said, and Marinette turned her head quickly to see that it wasn't Felix sitting next to her.

"You're back!" She screamed and engulfed Adrien into a hug. "Oh my god, I didn't think you would be back until school started!" Marinette squealed.

Adrien hugged back. "I've missed you."

"How are you here?" Marinette pulled back slowly.

"Well, I can't stay for long. We're out about an hour away, finishing up a project that goes around France...so right now my brother is pretending to be me," Adrien giggled, making Marinette realize how much she missed his laugh. "I'm sure Nathalie knows, though, she can tell us apart better than my own father."

Marinette nodded. "How did you get here then?" She raised her eyebrow.

Adrien put his finger over her mouth, hushing her. "That, milady, is a story for another time."

She pushed his arm away. It was surprising how she was acting, knowing that under the mask it's Adrien. She wasn't freaking out that he's flirting with her, or that he's sitting right next to her. She was just treating him like a normal friend; one that she likes, of course.

"I know we have a lot to talk about, but can we save it for when I'm officially back? I only have an hour before I have to leave and," Adrien sucked in a breath and looked around. "I've missed Paris."

Marinette nodded. She did want to talk about knowing each other's identities, but that could always be saved for another day. He was back for now, and that's all that matters. "Of course."

The pair stood up and began to walk around. They were patrolling like they did a few months ago, with random conversations and silence. "Felix really enjoys working at the bakery, you know, he talks about it all the time," Adrien brought up. "So I have to thank you for getting him a job."

Marinette smiled. "It's all good; my parents love him."

Adrien jumped up to the highest roof he could get to, Marinette following. "I've really missed this. Before I transformed, I was worried I would forget how to do everything. But I didn't, and I'm so happy to have this secret identity. And to know I'm sharing it with one of the best people I've ever met makes it all a hundred times better," Adrien sighed and sat down after awing.

Marinette didn't know how to reply. Out of everyone in Paris, Adrien was the last person she expected the be Chat Noir. But, she was happy. She was happy to know that the boy she has grown so close with also shares this secret with her. "I agree," She said, still not sure if it was the right thing to say.

For the rest of the time, Adrien was able to stay, they sat overlooking Paris with little conversation. With one last hug and a goodbye, Adrien confirmed he would not be back until school started up. He would try to make it to the party her parents were throwing, but it was unlikely.

And Marinette went home unable to wipe off the lovestruck look on her face.

"What is that look for?" Bridgette raised her eyebrow, but only got a loud squeal in response.