25 - Acting On Suspicions

The teacher was running late, meaning the students had time to talk.

Alya was running late, so Marinette sat and drew in her sketchbook. "Hey Adrien," Marinette called, and he turned around quickly. He looked at his face and his hair. "Okay, thanks, you can turn back now," She said and continued drawing.

Adrien laughed and stood up. "What are you working on?"

"I'm making a Chat Noir inspired suit, and I used you as my model," Marinette shrugged.

Nino stood up as well and looked. "Oh yes!" He cheered. "Adrien, you would totally rock the Chat Noir look," Nino commented. "Oh, my gosh, you and Marinette would look amazing as the Ladybug and Chat Noir pair."

"Me? Ladybug? No way," Marinette laughed. "She's way too different than I am," She tried to explain. "Plus, I'm more of a Chat Noir fan anyway."

"Of course you are," Chloe's voice called when she walked over to the three. "Marinette Dupain-Cheng, I need to talk to you."

Felix heard the shrieking voice and rolled his eyes. "Chloe, what did I tell you?"

"Hush, Agreste. I'm merely going to talk about a business opportunity," Chloe smirked. "Come with me, Marinette, I would like to speak in private," She said, walking out of the classroom. Without a choice, Marinette followed, not before Felix ran up to her though.

Felix put his hands on Marinette's shoulders. "Do not let your guard down. Remember, your just Marinette."

Marinette laughed and walked out of the classroom. "What did you want, Chloe?"

"You're not going to the gala, right?" She asked, and Marinette shook her head. "Why not?"

Marinette shrugged. "I'm grounded. I'm always late, and my parents thought that this would teach me a lesson that if I want to do things, I have to be on time, where they expect me to be," She lied. She has been excellent at keeping lies consistent, especially having to keep the biggest secret ever.

Chloe shrugged. "Will you make my dress? It would be the perfect way to make my designer jealous, and he would beg to come back."

Marinette wasn't quite sure what to think. Did Chloe really want her to make her dress? Or was it a joke? "I can't tell if you're being serious, but I can make your dress if you are. I'd love to, the design is great. I would need your measurements and a few extra things. I would probably be able to get it to you a few days before the gala, if that works."

"I'm serious," Chloe said and pulled out her designs. "And, you know, it's probably a good thing you aren't going to the gala," She started and handed Marinette her book. "I'm sure Tikki would get terribly hungry for cookies during it." Chloe tried to keep a straight face when saying so, remembering the conversation Ladybug had with Chat Noir. She had no idea what a Tikki was, but she remembered her talking about feeding her.

Marinette shrugged again when she took the designs. "Nah, I live above the bakery and keep a bunch of food for her in my bag-" Marinette cut herself off when she realized what she was saying.

"I knew it!" Chloe yelled. "Okay, technically, I didn't know it. I had my suspicions-"

Marinette could barely look at her. "I thought you said you respected my privacy..."

"I did!" Chloe defended. "I honestly didn't look, and believe me, it took everything I had! But I didn't see anything. I just...your voice changes, and I recognized it a little. And it was driving me insane, and I had to find a way to figure out if I was right," Chloe said, then noticed it looked like Marinette was going to start crying. "I won't tell anyone, I promise. I'm sorry, Marinette."