Chapter 1

3000 Miles for the Boys - Chapter 1

I sat in the corner on the floor. I could hear them walking around in my house. I heard the gun shots a few minutes earlier. I heard smashing. I pictured shattered glass scattered around on the hard wood floor in the living room. I heard someone break a window and a car pull away. I didn't want to get up though. I didn't want to move and see what waited outside of my room. I sat there with my hands over my ears and my eyes closed. I pulled my knees closer to my chest and I pressed my forehead against my them. 10 minutes before now, my mom told me to go into my room. I did as she said not questioning why. I could tell it was serious by the tone of voice she used and the worry on her face.

I heard sirens. The cops. They were here, finally. I didn't move though. I just sat there and waited. I waited until I heard my door creak open. I peered through my arms, above my knees. The black boots hit the floor and then there was a gun pressed into the opening, between the door and the frame of the wall. My eyes darted open all the way. I saw a tall man, dressed in all black, or at least I think it was black, step into my room completely. He held the gun out in front of him and pressed himself tightly against the wall. He turned so he was facing me. I could see faint light in the hallway outside of my room. Flashlights. The beams moved across the floor in my room as I watched the man walk towards me. I put my head down again, afraid he would hurt me. He pressed his hand gently against my shoulder. "Are you hurt?" he asked. I shook my head. He reached down and picked me up. I let him.

He carried me out of the house. I kept my eyes closed, afraid I would see more than I wanted to. Another cop that had come with the man carrying me, opened the door to the back of the cop car. The man placed me in and the ambulance came speeding down our small tiny road. I closed my eyes. None of this is real I told myself, It's all just a dream.

20 minutes later I sat in a dark blue striped chair on one side of a desk. The cop that had carried me out of the house was sitting across from me with another man. The name tag on his uniform read Officer Herald and so did the card on his desk. He wasn't the one that was at my house but someone else. This man was asking me a bunch of questions that I didn't have the answers to. "Do you know why this person broke into your house?"

I sat up straight in my chair. "No, I don't. I don't know who he was, why he came, or what he wanted. All I know is what he got." There was a long pause as I tried to cope with the situation. I stared down at my palms in my lap. I took in a big breath and let it all out in one. "They took both of there lives." There were tears running down my face and I turned so they wouldn't see me cry. I hated showing how weak I was. I never liked letting people know how I was feeling.

"Look Ms. Houghton ," the tall man said, "We know that this is a very emotional and difficult situation but we have to move decide on a living situation for you." My eyes got wide and I started crying. I knew what that meant for me. "We have word that your mother had a friend that lived in Londonderry, New Hampshire." What? I lived in Monmouth. Monmouth, Oregon. They were moving me 3,000 miles across the country.

"What? Your making me leave?" I stood up now. I grabbed the edge of the desk and leaned over it so I could hear the cops correctly when they answered.

"Yes, it's not safe here for you. You don't know who these people are that broke into your house and you don't know why. It's too dangerous and you don't have any relatives in this country it looks like. When it is acceptable for you to go back to your house, we would like you to pack up your things because you will be leaving tomorrow. We have already contacted the family you will be staying with and you will be taking a plane there at 12 o'clock tomorrow afternoon." I crossed my arms in front of my chest and sat back down in my chair. I was fighting back tears now. How could they be doing this to me. My parents just died and they expect me to be able to go back into my house to get all of my things? They expect me to just be able to pick everything up and leave?