one

Taylor

I scroll through the Victoria's Secret website and add a couple of items to my shopping bag.

My phone starts ringing and I look at the caller ID, a smile spreading across my lips. I press the answer button and put it on speaker. "Hi, baby," I purr.

"Hey, sexy," Justin, my boyfriend, says back. "What you doing?"

"Online shopping," I answer. "I'm picking out some lingerie for when you come to visit me. Speaking of which, when are you coming? I miss you!"

I just moved to New York a couple of days ago, since I'm starting college here tomorrow, while Justin is all the way in Seattle. He decided to not go college, but instead, work with his dad at his company.

"Mmm, sounds nice and I miss you too, baby," Justin says now. "I'll be in New York in three days."

"Three days?" I groan. "That's too long, Justin! I need you - sexually."

Justin laughs and I melt at the sound. "Well, I'll make sure I fuck you good when I come over," he tells me.

I sigh. "You better," I say. "Because we won't be seeing each other for a long time after you visit me." I pause. "Do you really think we can make this long distance thing work?"

I remember when we had a whole conversation about how we'd make this work between us. I had so many doubts, but Justin said it'll work out because we love each other.

But sometimes, even when two people love each other, it doesn't always work out. Eventually, people begin drifting apart and I'm scared that'll happen to me and Justin - even if we have been together for three years.

I feel like we'll be too caught up in our own lives - him with work and me with college - to even keep in contact.

"We'll make it work," Justin tells me now.

I squeeze my eyes shut. "Okay."

"And, Tay? If it doesn't work out the way we thought, just know I'll always love you, okay?"

"Me too."

"And if you find someone else while you're in New York," Justin carries on. "I'll be happy for you."

A huge lump forms in my throat. "Back at you." I say, my voice wobbly. "But right now, I want you in my life. I'm not ready tote you go. Even if there's God-knows-how-many miles between us."

Justin laughs and I laugh too. "I have to go, okay?" he says. "See you in three days. I love you."

"Love you, too," I whisper and hang up.

Biting my lip to stop the tears, I lean back against the bed and continue online shopping, balancing the laptop on my knees

I lean over and tear open the packet of tortilla chips, grabbing one and dunking it into the jar of hot salsa. Some of the salsa slips of the chip and falls onto my white T-shirt, straining it.

"Fuck, " I mumble to myself, trying to dab out the stain, which only makes it worse. In the end, I give up and am left with a large red stain that smells of salsa.

I turn my attention back to the laptop when all of a sudden, loud music starts blaring from next door and the sounds of cheers and laughter are heard.

Great.

"What the fuck?" I say to myself. I start banging on the wall, but that's useless because the music seems to get even more louder.

Groaning, I push the laptop off my lap and climb out the covers. I forget that the salsa jar is still open and quickly grab the covers to find that there's a red stain on my clean, white sheets.

"That's just fucking brilliant," I mutter.

Rolling my eyes, I walk out my room and down the stairs and out the front door, grabbing my keys on the way. The last thing I need right now is to get locked out my apartment.

When I reach the neighbour's door, I knock while tapping my foot against the ground impatiently. No one answers and I knock again. Again, no answer. I knock even more harder with my fist and the door finally opens.

A light-skinned man with a little affro comes to the door, a cold look on his face. He raises his eyebrows and looks me up and down. "What?" he snaps.

I instantly grow annoyed at the tone of his voice. "Do you mind turning the music down?" I ask through gritted teeth, trying to sound polite

"No," he answer simply. "You have something on your top."

I roll my eyes. "Yes, I know!" I snap.

The guy takes a sip out of his plastic red cup, his eyes on me the whole time. "What is it?" he asks.

"Salsa," I answer, still annoyed. "Anyway will you fucking turn the fucking music the fuck down?"

"Well, when you ask like that, no," he says, looking at me with dark eyes.

"Asshole." I shake my head.

"What the fuck did you just say?"

I look up at him, smiling sweetly. "Asshole," I say. I wipe the smile off my face and glare at him.

"Say that one more time," the guy challenges.

"Asshole. I said asshole. Oh look, I said it twice."

"Bitch." He slams the door in my face.

"Bastard," I mutter before walking back to my apartment.