thirty seven

Abel

I blink a couple of times, trying to get my sleepy eyes to adjust to the light. "Baby mama?" I call out, chuckling at the newfound nickname I've made for Taylor. "Taylor? Taylor?"

Getting up slowly, I walk into the kitchen to find that it's empty. Thinking that she's probably in her bedroom, I go upstairs to find that it's empty and so is the bathroom.

"Where the fuck did you go, Taylor?" I say to myself, heart thumping against my chest as I grab my coat and pull it on, along with my shoes.

If anything's happened to her and our baby . . .

I push the thought out of my mind,  trying not to think negatively.

Just because she's not here doesn't mean Hyghly and Hawk have here - she could just have gone to her campus, like she told me yesterday and probably didn't want to wake me up or something.

But then, why didn't she leave me a note at least? She could've said where she was going, so I didn't start panicking just like how I am right now.

My throat goes dry and I grab my phone with shaking fingers, scrolling through my contacts until I find her name and hitting the call button.

Just as I guessed, it goes straight to voicemail.

"Fuck!" I shout, throwing my phone across the room in a fit of anger.

The sound of the key inserting in the lock brings me out of my rage and I run to the door. "Taylor?" I say, but it isn't her.

Lamar frowns at me, noticing the panic in my eyes. "What's wrong? Where is she?" he wants to know, alarmed.

"I don't know, man," I say. "What if Hyghly and Hawk . . .?" I trail off, not finishing the rest of my sentence. "I need to fucking find her."

Lamar nods and we both walk out the apartment, closing the door behind us.

I clench my hands into fists. "If they've done anything to her and my baby, I'll kill them," I say through gritted teeth as we wait for the lift. I slam my hand against the button, hitting it repeatedly. "Hurry the fuck up!"

"Abe!" Lamar shouts. "Calm down! Don't think so negatively, okay? For all we know, Taylor's fine and so is your baby. Nothing's happened to either of them. She probably thought that she'd be back before you woke up or something."

The lift arrives at our floor now and I feel my whole body beginning to relax when I see Taylor in the lift.

She looks from me to Lamar, her lips parting, probably realising that leaving the apartment was the worst mistake of her life.

"Taylor!" I snap, pulling her out of the lift and wrapping my arms around her tightly. "What the fuck is wrong with you? Why the fuck did you leave without a note or a text at least?"

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry!" Taylor exclaims, allowing me to hug her.

"I thought something happened to you!" I shout, pulling away and glaring at her for a long time.

"Uh, I think I'll leave you two to it," Lamar says awkwardly into the silence, looking from me to Taylor.

I nod, not taking my eyes off Taylor, who smiles at Lamar and waves him goodbye.

Without saying a word, I grab her hand and pull her into the apartment, closing the door behind us.

"I'm sorry, okay, Abel?" Taylor starts to say. "I didn't mean to scare you -"

I cut her off by pushing her against the door gently and pressing my lips against hers.

Taylor stays frozen, caught offguard. She begins to kiss me back after a couple of seconds, her hands wrapping around me and brushing against the skin at the back of my neck.