thirty nine

Abel

"Ready?" I ask Taylor as she comes down the stairs.

"Yeah," she replies, pulling her jacket on. She fiddles with her hair for a couple of seconds before following me out the apartment.

I press the lift button and wait for it to arrive at our floor. "You okay?" I ask, snaking my arm around her and placing my hand firmly on her waist.

Taylor nods in response and steps in the lift, chewing her lip. "Just feeling nervous," she tells me. "This is the first time we're leaving the apartment after what happened with Hawk and Hyghly."

I press my lips against her forehead and squeeze at her waist. "It's going to be fine, Taylor," I reassure her and she just nods in response before leaning forward to peck me on the lips.

When we reach the ground floor, I step out the lift and Taylor hooks her arm through mine as I lead us out the building and into the car.

Taylor's lack of words are making me feel even more anxious than what I'm already feeling.

I need to get her to talk to me somehow, otherwise I'll end up going crazy during this whole ride to the hospital.

I drum my fingers against the steering wheel as I wait for the red light to turn green.

Turning to look at Taylor, I notice that she's chewing on her lip anxiously as she looks out the window. A hand is placed on her stomach and she rubs circles on it.

I place my hand on top of the little bump, causing her gaze to rip away from the outside world to my face.

She smiles at me and moves her free hand towards me, resting her warm palm against my cheek and stroking it.

"What do you think the baby is?" I ask.

"Green light," Taylor says.

I furrow my eyebrows, confused. "What?" I ask.

"It's a green light," she chuckles.

"Oh!" I start driving again and Taylor laughs, stroking my hand that's now at her thigh, squeezing gently.

"I think it's a boy," Taylor announces.

"Really?" I say. "I think it's a girl."

Taylor scoffs. "Um, no, it's a boy!" she exclaims.

"Nah, it's a girl."

"Boy."

"Girl."

"You know, I can do this for hours," Taylor laughs, a hint of stubbornness in her voice.

"So can I," I retort and Taylor smacks her lips, causing me to chuckle.

She hums to herself before placing a hand on top of mine. "Let's bet on it," Taylor tells me.

"What?" I ask, turning to look at her with furrowed eyebrows.

"You think the baby is a girl and I think it's a boy, so let's make things interesting - let's bet on it," Taylor explains.

A laugh escapes my throat. I don't know why I'm finding this funny.

I look at her, squinting. "Are you being for real right now?" I ask and Taylor nods, crossing her arms and raising her eyebrows.

"Why?" she asks. "Scared you're going to lose like the last time?"

I scoff. "Technically, I didn't lose," I point out. "You're pregnant. So, I won."

Taylor shakes her head. "Nah, whatever, I still won," she says stubbornly. And I'm going to win again." She leans forward to place a kiss on my cheek.