Chapter Eighteen

Jake's P.O.V

I close the door to my mom's office and lock it before walking over to her desk. I'm so lucky that my mom isn't home and that she is at the hospital. If she saw me in here and asked me what I was doing, I would literally be screwed. I'm not good at lying and my mom has known me for long enough to know if I'm lying or not.

Meghan is upstairs playing Hollywood Undead through the Bluetooth speaker she stole today. Yep, she stole once again. After we left the hospital, Meghan wanted to go to the mall to get some stuff but all she got was a speaker and since she had no receipt or money on her, I knew she stole it.

Well, she is a bad girl...

I sit down in my mom's chair, my heart beginning to race. I know I shouldn't of agreed to look for the things that Drake and Evie wanted me to do but it's not like I will find anything surprising in Meghan's file. I know the basics anyway.

I open the draw and quietly groan when Meghan's file isn't there. I open the other drawers but to my surprise, all I see is pieces of paper stapled together saying Eddie Munchard which used to be the patient she was helping before Meghan came along.

When I search through all of the drawers and find nothing with Meghan's name on it, I lean against the wall and run a hand through my hair. "Where could I be?" I ask myself and before I can even think, I hear Meghan shout out my name. Out of panic, I run over to the door and quickly open it, walking out and shutting the door behind me. Meghan notices me and walks over to me, looking behind me at the door.

"Why were you in there?" Meghan asks, pointing at the door and my heart begins to race. I feel my hands begin to shake and I put my hands behind my back to hide them.

"I... uh, was looking for... the number to dial pizza?" I say, sounding a little uncertain but Meghan doesn't realise it. Instead, her eyes light up and she grins.

"I was just about to ask you if we could order pizza." Meghan says and I chuckle nervously.

"Well, I need to find the number." I lie. I know the number off by heart since I order pizza all the time when Emma and Danny are around. I walk past Meghan and walk towards the kitchen, hoping that Meghan's file is in there somewhere.

"When you find it, tell me so I can tell you what I want!" Meghan shouts from the top of the stairs and I look over at her and nod, watching as she disappears into her room, Hollywood Undead still playing loudly.

I let out a sigh of relief and walk into the kitchen. My mom always keeps the files of her patients in her study so I have no idea why Meghan's isn't there. I walk over to the fridge and stand on my toes, looking on the top of it, only to see dust.

I turn around and begin to search the drawers. I pull one open and frown. Nope. I pull another one open. Nope. I open the whole row of drawers and let out a groan. Nope, nope, nope and nope. Where the hell could it be?

Suddenly, an idea floods into my head and I click my fingers, asking myself how I didn't even think of that before.

I leave the kitchen and head upstairs, walking down the hallway towards my mom's room. Just as I am about to pass Meghan's room, I turn my head to see what she is up to. When I notice her laying against the wall with a journal in her hand, I can't help but smile at how... innocent she looks.

As she writes in the journey, her bright green eyes are scanning the words over, seeing if she has made a mistake. Her blonde hair is scraped up into a messy bun at the top of her head and she is wearing a small smile on her lips as she continues to write.

Cute.

Wait, what?

"Did you find the number yet?" Meghan asks, bringing me out of my thoughts. I look back at her and shake my head.

"No, not yet. I'm going to go check in my mom's room." I tell her and Meghan raises her eyebrow.

"Do you need help?" She asks and I shake my head quickly, waving her off.

"No. I'm sure I will find it soon enough." I say and Meghan nods, looking back down at her journal. For a second, I feel my eyes look at her lips when her tongue swipes out to lick them. Before the thoughts come flooding into my head, I walk down the hallway, shaking my head slightly.

What the hell is wrong with me?

Pushing the thoughts to the back of my head, I walk into my mom's room and turn the light on, letting the brightness spread across the room. I immediately walk over to her bed and crouch down to see nothing but a suitcase.

I stand back up on my two feet and look around the room. Suddenly, a certain creamy coloured file catches my eye and I walk over to my mom's bookshelf, grabbing out the folder that is stuck in between her reading books. I look at the name scribbled on the top of the folder.

Meghan Brooks.

I walk over to my mom's bed and sit down, looking at the first page of Meghan's file. A picture of Meghan, the most recent picture of her which was probably taken when she was at her previous school is in the corner of the page, nothing but sadness shown on her face.

I look down at the information and begin to read.

Full name:
   Meghan Elizabeth Brooks
Age:
   Seventeen years old
D.O.B:
   14/6/2000
Address:
   Unknown
Occupation:
   None
Family:
   Alise Brooks (mother)

Early Life:
   Meghan grew up with her brother and mother. At the age of five, Meghan was sent to an orphanage as her mother couldn't look after her two children. Meghan continued to be raised at the orphanage until she turned eight where she escaped from the orphanage. No additional record of Meghan's early life.

Wait, she escaped from the orphanage? At the age of eight? Wow, Meghan really was the rebellious child, wasn't she?

I turn the page and my eyes widen when I see three pictures. One of Meghan with another girl, another of just Meghan and the last one of Meghan. I notice the last picture as the one of the first page, the one where Meghan looks so different and sad.

I turn the page again and notice a page that looked like it was ripped out of a notebook. As I look at the first two words, my eyes widen.

Dear Diary...

Before I can continue, I hear a cough, bringing me up from my thoughts. I look up to see Meghan glaring at me.

"So much for looking for the number, huh?" Meghan snaps, crossing her arms over her chest. I open my mouth to say something but nothing comes out. Meghan rolls her eyes and walks over to me, snatching the file out of my hands. She grabs it and holds it close to her chest.

"I honestly thought you were different, Jake. But now I see that your just like everyone else... wanting to know the secret behind Meghan Brooks. You," Meghan says, her eyes turning dark. "Are nothing but a fucking dog." Meghan says before walking out of the room, the file clutched tightly to her chest.

After a minute or so, I hear the front door slam shut and I let out a sigh, running my hands down my face.

Way to go, Jake, way to go.

●●●

A/N - Secrets, secrets, secrets. What would we be without them? What do you think Meghan is hiding?

-XmysterysmileX