Chapter Twenty Four

Meghan's P.O.V

"W-What is that suppose to mean?" Jake asks and I can't help but smile at the light blush that is appearing on his cheeks. It may be dark but believe it or not, when it comes to Jake blushing, I can always see it.

"It means whatever you want it to mean." I say and Jake frowns.

"What do I want it to mean though?" Jake asks and I shrug.

"Well, what do you want to do?" I ask Jake and he bites his bottom lip, looking out into the darkness. I can't help but pinch my hand when I look at Jake's lips.

Hmm, when am I going to feel those lips against mine? Soon, I'm hoping.

"Well..." Jake starts and my eyes look up at Jake's eyes which are still staring out of the carriage. "I know your going to avoid the question but it's not like I will tell anyone..." Jake continues to beat around the bush and I raise my eyebrow.

"What is it?"

"What happened between you, Evie and Drake?" Jake asks and I can't help but scoff.

Hearing their names just makes me want to punch them both in the face.

"Fine," I breathe out. "Only if you will stop asking me this." I say, looking over at Jake and he nods. I cross my arms over my chest and sigh, leaning against the corner of the bench.

"At eight years old, I escaped the orphanage that I was currently at and since I had no where to go, I was on the streets. I had nothing but an old, dirty dress that I had to wear all the time so I was obviously freezing my ass off. One night though -- Drake and Evie were thirteen--fifteen at the time -- they were both walking around and when they saw me, they took me under their wing." I explain, a small smile on my lips when I remember what happened that night.

I blow some air onto my hands, trying to warm myself up but it wasn't working. I have been out here for two days and have had nothing to drink or eat. I'm starving! But no one around here helps people like me... I may be young but I'm sure that when a person sees a rebellious girl like myself, they don't want anything to do with her.

It hurts.

Suddenly, I hear voices coming from my right and I can't help but sit up, hoping that these people will notice me and actually help me. I know it's been two days but I am only eight years old. I could probably get hypothermia anytime soon from the weather that we have here.

"And then my mom slapped him and I was like 'oh shit, it's about to go down'! Of course I said that in my head but -- wait, who is that?" I hear a female voice say and I look up, seeing two figures standing a few metres away from me. I can't see their faces but from the clothes that they are wearing, I can tell that they are young... maybe only a few years older than me.

"I don't know." I hear a male say. All of a sudden, the figures begin to walk closer and I can't help but feel a little bit of hope rising in me. I guess this is what every kid felt like when the adults came to the orphanage looking for a kid to adopt.

But obviously, I never got to feel what that felt like because no one wanted me...

Until now.