Chapter Fifty Three

Meghan's P.O.V

"Can you hear anything?" I ask Jake as he presses his ear to the door. When he shakes his head, I nod, pushing the door open slowly. I peep my head in, looking around to see no one in the lobby.

Wow, they planned this well.

I reach my arm out, grabbing Jake's hand as he follows behind me as we enter the old hotel building. Suddenly, as I look around, a memory flashes through my mind.

"Meghan, everything is going to be fine." Drake says as he pulls me through the lobby towards the desk where a blonde lady is standing, her eyes watching the three of us.

"Hello, I would just like to get a room..." Drake's voice trails off from my hearing as I take in a couple who is currently walking down the stairs. The lady, who looks around twenty, has her arm slouched around a much older man's shoulders. From the way that the lady is looking, she seems a little wasted, but the guy looks completely sober, which makes something burn inside of my body.

From what had just happened two weeks ago, I've been looking at every man who is with a lady, watching them and seeing the differences on both of their faces; their actions. I'm cautious now, but I wasn't before, which makes me hate myself even more.

Suddenly, Drake tugs at my hand, making me snap out of my thoughts. I look away from the two people for only a second as Drake and Evie begin to walk towards the stairs, Drake's hand still grabbing at my arm.

As we walk past the two people, I glance back at the man and when he sees me looking, the smallest grin appears on his face, which makes my eyes widen a little in shock.

The girl has obviously passed out, and the guy is sober. The girl is weak, and the guy thinks he has the power.

No. Not again... I think to myself as I shake my head slightly.

"Meghan," Jake whispers suddenly, immediately grabbing my body and pulling me around the desk where a receptionist would be. We duck down behind the desk, and I look over at Jake, confused.

"What?"

Jake points up, trying to tell me something without actually saying it, but I don't understand. Jake sighs quietly before leaning closer to me, his arms still around my waist as I lean into him while he leans into the desk.

"A guy is near the stairs." Jake whispers quietly, his words barely making it register in my mind that it was that quiet. When I realise what he had just said, my hand reaches down to grab my gun from the back of my jeans. I remembered to put the silencer on the gun just before we had arrived here so I'm glad that I didn't forget otherwise I would have people coming at me from left and right.

But the thing is, I've never shot someone. I mean, I have shot at someone, but missed, so I guess that doesn't count. But if I do end up shooting the guy that Jake says is near the stairs, then that will be my first.