Chapter Forty Four

Jake's P.O.V

"Don't tell me what she said is true..." My mom mutters, running a hand through her black hair. I breathe out a sigh, standing up from my seat on the couch. The words that Meghan said to my mom appear in my mind, making my heart clench.

"Damn right. I have had delinquents like you take my car and run off with it so I decided to put a tracking device under the car-"

"Wait, what the fuck?" Meghan snaps and I notice her hands begin to shake. "You think I took it?" Meghan asks, her eyebrows furrowing.

My mom narrows her eyes at Meghan. "What are you trying to say? That Jake decided to drive off with it? Oh please-"

Oh no, I know where this is headed...

"What if I said it was him! What the fuck are you going to say now?" Meghan shouts in rage, her eyes widening with every word said. My mom doesn't say a word. Instead, she looks over at me and I suddenly look down at the ground.

In the corner of my eye, I notice Meghan stands up from her seat on the couch and narrow her eyes at my mom. "If you will excuse me, I'm going to bed." Meghan says before storming up the stairs and slamming the door.

She was so angry... I think to myself as I look at my mom.

"Mom," I start but before I can continue, my mom shakes her head.

"No, let me say something." My mom begins, standing up from her seat. "I raised you, Jake, to be respectful and understanding. I raised you to know the difference between right and wrong, good and bad. But this... I feel like that all my hard work has gone down the drain." My mom says, walking over to the wall where the photos of Jamie and I -- as a kid -- are.

"I expected you both to not let me down. You both were such great kids but when your father left... Jamie spun out of control. But you didn't. I guess that's because you were waiting for him to come back. I mean, you were four. You were still young." My mom says and I feel my heart clench when I hear the words 'father' and 'Jamie' in the same sentence.

"Mom, what happened to dad?" I ask, a little curious. I only asked this question once when I was twelve and my mom said that I was too young and I wouldn't understand. Now I'm seventeen. She should tell me now, right?

Right.

My mom looks over her shoulder at me, tears forming in her eyes. "He left." She says and I furrow my eyebrows.

"I know but what--"

"Jake, please stop." My mom cuts me off, scratching the top of her forehead. When she looks back at the pictures, I hear her sigh deeply.

"You... you can go to bed." My mom mumbles quietly and I shake my head, walking over to my mom. I grab her shoulders and bring her into a sudden hug.

"Mom, it's okay to cry in front of me. You don't have to keep hiding." I say and thats when I hear my mom let out a sob.

"I-I have to hide from you, Jake. I can't let you see me fall apart."

"Its okay." I say, rubbing her back. "We're all human."

●●●

After staying up for another hour with my mom, looking through the baby pictures of Jamie and I, I finally decided to go to bed since I was tired.

As I walk up the stairs, my mind goes straight to the beautiful blonde. I wonder what she is doing, I think to myself as I step up the last stair. I glance back down the stairs, watching as my mom continues to look through the pictures.

Looking back in front of me, I decide to head towards Meghan's room. Knocking on the door, I breathe out a sigh. "Meghan, are you asleep?" I ask lightly, hoping that she isn't.

I hear something fall to the ground with a big thud and I can't help but furrow my eyebrows. "Meghan?"

"I'm coming, shut up." I hear Meghan snap, her voice sounding weak and slurred. The door opens a few seconds later and my eyes widen when I look at Meghan who is in grey booty shorts and a white singlet. Her blonde hair is resting on her shoulder in waves and her green eyes pop out like she has been drinking a lot of coffee.

That's when I see it.

On her bed.

I walk into her room, my hands shaking with anger and disappointment. I close the door behind me and walk over to her bed, grabbing the envelope which has the weed in it - well, had the weed in it.

"Meghan, what the--"

"Don't yell at me..." Meghan cuts me off, sitting down on the bed. She runs a hand through her hair, a sigh escaping her lips. All it smells like in here is drugs and I hate it. It smells so disgusting.

"Give me a good reason not to." I say, narrowing my eyes at Meghan.

"Because I needed it, Jakie. I really did. I mean, look at how fucked up my life is? I need relief." Meghan mumbles softly. "My mom hates me, my brother is dead... I have no idea who the fuck my father is, I'm living with a psychiatrist or whatever, I had a child at fifteen to my rapist..." Meghan trails off and I notice tears in her eyes.

"Do you want me to continue?" She asks, looking over at me. That's when I can see that she is ready to cry. "Because I can... the list goes on and on." Meghan says and I frown slightly when I see the first tear drop.

"Meghan, don't cry." I say, walking over to her. I sit next to her on the bed and wrap my arms around her, pulling her close to me. "Please... don't cry."

Meghan clutches onto my arm, sobbing now. "Jakie, I-I need to tell y-you something." Meghan stutters between sobs and I nod, running my hand through her soft hair.

"You can tell me." I say and before I can brace myself for what Meghan is about to say, six words escape her lips.

"I t-think I've fallen for you."

●●●

A/N - OH MY LORD! WERE YOU ALL EXPECTING THAT? First she says that she likes him then now, she confesses her LOVE FOR HIM! Ahhhh! DON'T FORGET TO VOTE AND COMMENT TOO!

-XmysterysmileX