Chapter Thirty Four

Jake's P.O.V

I can't believe it.

I can't believe any of it.

How can Courtney do something like that to Meghan? Why the heck would she tell her mom about Meghan and I even though there is nothing going on? Why would she then give Meghan the drugs that night when she stormed off?

Why?

I walk into my room and close the door behind me, breathing out a heavy sigh.

You have to tell Meghan, my brain says and I hold myself back from letting out a dry laugh.

Tell Meghan? She just got out of hospital... I can't dump this on her. I have no idea what Meghan will do. That girl is unpredictable and the fact that I have to now hide this away from her is going to be hard.

Impossible even.

I've said it once and I'm going to say it again. I suck at lying and I suck at keeping things a secret. Have you ever watched School of Rock? Do you know Ned? I'm exactly like him.

I suck at keeping secrets.

I still don't even know why Courtney would do this? I know she wants our money but to go this far? What the hell was she thinking? To put Meghan's life in danger, knowing how I will react is so stupid! Courtney should know that I have to try and keep Meghan out of trouble and the fact that she done this is unbelievable.

"Jake," I hear Meghan say from the other side of my door. I immediately shoot up and turn around, staring at my wooden door.

What the hell should I say?

You have two decisions: push her away or let her in. It isn't that hard, my brain says and I hold myself back from rolling my eyes. I look at the door handle and bite my lip.

I won't be able to hide this from her...

"Uh... what's up?" I ask, trying to sound as comfortable as possible, even though my heart is racing like there is no tomorrow.

"Can I come in? I mean... you sort of left me hanging back there." Meghan says with a nervous chuckle and my eyes widen.

Push her away or let her in, my brain says again and my hand grips at the door handle, slowly turning it to the right with a shaky hand. When I pull the door open, I look at Meghan who is staring up at me, her blonde hair sitting on her shoulders in waves. Her green eyes stare into my blue ones and her bottom lip is pulled into her mouth, caged by her white teeth.

We both stand there for a while, just staring at each other. I slowly look down at what she is wearing and can't help but crack a smile at the long socks that go up to her knees. She is wearing a grey shirt that looks like a guy's shirt since it is large and I'm guessing that it is her brother's.

The memory of me giving Meghan the frame and the picture of her and her brother appears into my mind, making my smile widen. Meghan furrows her eyebrows slightly and crosses her arms over her chest.

"Why are you smiling like that?" Meghan asks and I shake my head, my smile falling off my face. Meghan raises an eyebrow at me, pushing on her question further but I just shake my head again.

"Don't worry." I say, looking away from her intense stare. "So, what did you want again?" I ask, scratching the back of my neck nervously. I knew exactly what she wanted and I am trying my absolute hardest to shut my mouth.

"I want an explanation." Meghan says and I watch as Meghan walks into my room, her shoulder bumping into my arm. I turn around and watch as she sits on my bed, crossing her legs.

I can't tell her.

I just can't.

But you want to, my brain says and I clench my jaw silently.

No.

"I... I can't." I say and Meghan raises her eyebrow at me.

"You can't?"

"No, I mean I would like to but I just... I can't say it." I explain quickly and Meghan narrows her eyes at me, like she knows she is close to getting it out of me. I watch as Meghan gets up and walks over to me slowly.

"Is it about me, Jakie?" Meghan asks quietly and I watch as her hand moves up to where my neck and shoulder meet. She places her hand there gently, standing on her toes to reach up to my lips. Just as her lips brush against mine, her lips part and her other hand grabs at my hand.

"Because you know you can tell me." Meghan whispers, her breath tickling my lips. I lick my lips, trying to stop thinking about kissing her.

That will just confuse things...

Feeling weak at her touch, I am just about to give in when I hear my mom shout our names from downstairs -- probably because dinner is ready -- stopping me from saying anything. I immediately pull away from Meghan and close my eyes, sucking in a deep breath.

"I-I'm sorry..." I say, opening my eyes again and Meghan waves me off, a disappointing look in her eyss as she walks out of my room. As I breathe out a sigh, I can't help but think about how close that was.

Thank you, mom.

●●●

A/N - Short chapter but that's only because the next chapter is going to be in Meghan's P.O.V. Did you expect Courtney to be the one that gave Meghan the drugs that night when she left the house?

-XmysterysmileX