5: What are Friends For?

3rd POV

Hiromi Shiota rushed into the hospital.

"Nagisa-chan!" She called, running to her son and pulling him into a hug.

"O-Oka-san..." Nagisa squeaked out.

"Doctor, what happened?" Hiromi asked.

"Your husband was injected with some kind of venom. I'm sorry, but we couldn't save him." The doctor said. Hiromi gasped, and began crying.

She never stopped loving her husband, he was the one who left her after all. He said he couldn't deal with the fact she called Nagisa a girl, so he left her in the dust.

"It'll be alright Oka-san." Nagisa comforted his crying mother.

"I'll... bring around the car. We'll swing by Sadako's place to get your stuff." Hiromi muttered as she left. Nagisa turned to the doctor.

"Thank you for trying." Nagisa bowed a little before following his mother out.

Time Skip

Nagisa trudged up the mountain to E Class.

"Hey! Nagisa-chan!" A playful voice teased from behind him.

"Not now, Nakamura-chan..." Nagisa murmured, not even reacting to the '-chan.'

Nakamura looked at Nagisa in shock. Not even a response?

"Are you alright?" Nakamura asked, concern layering her voice.

"...no." Nagisa answered slowly.

"What happened?"

"I... my father was killed."

Nakamura gasped and pulled the bluenette into a sisterly hug, letting him cry a little bit.

"Nakamura-chan? Nagisa-kun! Are you alright?" Kayano said, running over to the pair.

Nagisa didn't answer her.

"Nakamura-chan? What happened?" Kayano asked the blonde.

"Nagisa-kun just lost his father." Nakamura decided it would be alright to tell Kayano. Kayano gasped and joined in on hugging Nagisa.

The three heard the bell ring for the start of school, but both girls knew Nagisa wasn't ready yet.

"What are you three doing out here and not in class?"

Nakamura turned to see Korosensei.

"Sorry, Sensei. We'll be in class shortly." Nakamura apologized.

"You better come soon, or you'll miss out on all the good lessons!" Korosensei giggled a little bit, not being able to see Nagisa from his position, since the small blue haired teen was hidden by the two girls. Nakamura nodded, and Korosensei vanished.

"T-Thank you. I needed that." Nagisa sniffed as he stood up, the two girls by his side.

"Anytime... Nagisa." Nakamura found it fitting to drop the honorifics. Nagisa smiled a little bit.

"Thanks, Rio, Kaede." Nagisa responded.

"Of course Nagisa, what are friends for?" Kayano smiled as they all walked into school and sat down at their desks, which were all in a row.

Not one of them noticed a familiar redhead staring at their backs.

After School

"Hey, Nagisa, want to join Karma-kun, and I for some pastries at the new bakery?" Nakamura asked. Nagisa's eyes lit up when she said Karma's name, but the light quickly drained as he remembered his mom.

"Maybe next time, sorry my Mom just want's me home early today. How about Friday?" Nagisa suggested.

"That's good for me! I'll see you then!" Nakamura smiled as she ran to catch up with her other friends.

"Nagisa can't come, his mom want's him home." Nakamura stated to the other two.

"Woah, woah, woah. Nagisa?" Karma questioned the lack of honorifics.

"What, jealous I don't use honorifics with him?" Nakamura teased. Karma turned bright red.

"N-No I just mean- NEVER MIND! Let's go!" Karma stammered as he stomped off, a laughing Nakamura following him.

The two made it to the bakery and sat down at a table. A waiter came over soon after.

"Hello you two, what would you like?" The waiter asked.

"A decaf strawberry mocha for me and a slice of tiramisu." Karma ordered.

"Someone likes coffee." Nakamura teased before ordering. "I'll take a vanilla latte and a slice of the cherry pie."

"Alright that'll be right out." The waited smiled and left.

Three minutes later their drinks and cake came out.

"Alright, tell me why you really called me here Nakamura-chan." Karma cut to the chase. Nakamura sighed.

"Had Nagisa come it was just going to be pastries, but since I have you alone, I was hoping you could answer some questions of mine." Nakamura turned serious.

"Depends on the questions." Karma stated, swirling his spoon in his slightly pink mocha.

"Nagisa. You two used to be friends, right?"

Karma stopped stirring for a moment before he continued as if nothing had happened.

"Yeah, back in first year."

"What happened?"

Karma didn't answer.

"Karma-kun." Nakamura prodded. Karma sighed.

"Nagisa-kun, well, he's not all innocence and sunshine. He's got some something inside him..." Karma muttered.

"What kind of something?"

"A bad kind of something. Just leave it at that 'cause I don't know any more." Karma said a little harshly. Nakamura sighed.

"Alright, why don't we just enjoy our cake and we can leave this matter for another time. Just know I'm not going to let it go, Nagisa's like a little brother to me, and I know you hurt him somehow, and I plan to find out how." Nakamura stated as if it was the most obvious thing in the world. Karma nodded a little and drank some of his coffee.

"I figured as much."