30: Silver's Chip

"I've been meaning to ask you, but how did you guys find me?" Nagisa's voice was quiet and uncertain, like he wasn't sure whether or not he was allowed to ask.

Karma chose to tread carefully as he decided on particular phrases to say. The Karmagisa pair walked down the damp sidewalk, blades of grass tilting heavily as thick droplets of moisture clung to them. Karma held a black umbrella at his side, just in case the dark and murky clouds decided to cry on them.

"Do you remember when Silver-san came to came to collect you?" Karma finally said.

Nagisa nodded, almost chuckling at the thought. He would never be able to forget it.

"Well, I'm almost positive you remember when he mentioned that chip of yours. I remembered how scared you looked, and I could only assume that the chip was attached to you. I had Ritsu track it, and we came up with two locations. One of them was where we dumped Silver's body, and the other was at an abandoned lab. I could only assume that's where you were."

Nagisa's mouth opened into an 'o'. "Quite witty of you, Karma. That also explains why Ritsu was there when you guys came to rescue me."

Karma acknowledged it with a small smile. "Was there anything else you wanted to be caught up on?"

Nagisa thought on it, but shook his head. He still couldn't remember much past Misui's shocked face, but he would have these strange flashes creeping up on him that lasted only a millisecond. "I'd rather not. If I figure it out, oh well, but otherwise, I'd rather stay ignorant."

Karma nodded in understanding. "Well, I have some questions too, if you don't mind answering them."

"Go for it." The bluenette said.

"Well, I take that back, I only have one question. About that chip... what is it exactly?" Karma said, opening the dark umbrella up and holding it above the two as they walked further down, protecting them from the coming onslaught of water that came suddenly.

"I'm not that well informed myself, but I know a couple of details. I know that the chip is in my heart, for one thing."

"Your heart? That's a weird place to put it."

Nagisa nodded in agreement. "Yeah. Silver-sensei had it surgically implanted there. I think he had it done around the time I got my scales, though I'm not positive. Anyways, the chip is obviously supposed to kill me, as you probably figured it out. I also know that it's supposed to help me in some categories, but I'm not sure on what it's supposed to be assisting me on. However..."

"However?" Karma replied.

"You're aware that I was poisoned, correct?" Nagisa asked.

"Yeah, what about it?"

"Well, if you think about it, it doesn't add up. That concoction was a specially made anti-me poison. It should have killed me. But it didn't. Misui also said that all of the poison that was supposed to be in my system had dissipated. My best guess is that the chip got rid of it."

Karma's eyes widened. His grip on the umbrella tightened, but he remained calm. "You do know what that means, don't you?" Karma said softly, his eyes latching onto Nagisa's.

Nagisa stared right back at him before turning forward, burrowing himself deeper into his coat. Pellets of water fell around them, puddles growing along the ground as young children ran into the rain, their small heads growing soaked. Cars drove past, their headlights burning brightly, fast speeding spraying droplets of water everywhere. Their shoes clumped along down the pathway, the wind sending a cold chill down the pair's backs, rain flying into their face from the drift of air.

"Yeah, I do. Silver-sensei wasn't the best of people, but he wasn't pure evil. The chip was supposed to assassinate me, but it's also saved me on numerous occasions. Yeah, he threatened to kill us both but..." Nagisa looked up to the crying sky, holding his hand up to his heart. "I think... that he had a sort of assassin's love for me. All he wanted was to kill me. And he didn't want anyone else to do it for him. He wanted to be the one to take my life, and he wanted to live on knowing that he was the one to do it.

He wanted me all to himself, dead or alive."