17: Relief

Nagisa coughed as he fell limp on the floor, the gas exiting his scales.

He didn't like it.

His scales burned, his skin itched where the gas touched, and he felt his hands blister over. His eyes were watering painfully, and his limbs felt like they were asleep - that violent twinge that felt like his skin was bursting and popping over and over again violently. It wasn't long after that the tips of his fingers and toes grew numb.

The gas felt tingly, his whole body was in pain, and he could hear Karma's anguished screams from behind the glass. Nagisa supposed he could have simply jumped back into the rafters and then killed Takaoka from above, but his mind wasn't in the right place. This made sense at the time.

Or maybe he really was just desperate to end it all.

Yeah, he'd die, but Takaoka would suffer and he couldn't escape it. And the gas looked thick. Good. It would fully fill the room and Iyuka wouldn't see either death.

And Karma wouldn't see his.

Right. That's what he was doing. Leaving Karma alone, forcing him to live on when Nagisa gave up his life.

He really should have thought out this plan better, but then again, he was a top assassin.

Nagisa knew exactly what he was doing.

It would all be fine.

Nagisa stood up.

--------------------------

Karma was screaming at the top of his lungs when Nagisa went down.

He felt like his life was over- but he couldn't end it. He had Iyuka. He knew there would be many times in the upcoming months, years, even, when he would want to take his life. He may even get close to trying once or twice, days when the pain is the worst. He'd wouldn't be able to see anyone from E Class for a while- any E Class memories were directly wired to memories of Nagisa. They wouldn't be able to help him heal.

But it was fine- he'd stay alive, if only for his daughter. She is going to need his help no matter what happened.

Maybe, maybe though, this was all a rouse, and Nagisa wasn't about to die. Maybe he would stand up and smile and laugh it all off. Maybe he would run inside and swoop them all into a hug and everything would be okay because Nagisa would brush Karma's tears out of his eyes and he would tuck Iyuka's hair behind her ear. Maybe he would unlock their chains and save them, even if it was just one last time, and kiss the top of their heads and cry that he was sorry, that he never meant to scare them.

Karma didn't believe in gods, but he was praying to every single one he could think of.

For safe measure he even sent a prayer to Korosensei.

"Please. It can't be his time. Please... don't let Nagisa die..."

Karma felt un-heard as Nagisa coughed some more and the gas flooded the room.

"What's this? What is this gas? Do you think this colored smoke will make me back off?" Takaoka's slimy voice was still clearly heard throughout the room. His eyes could be seen, clearly shining through the dark waves of the fumes. He was grinning, his eyes darting around as if he wasn't sane.

"You're wrong!" Takaoka ran into the gas, head on.

He fell to the ground instantly, and began trying to crawl away.

The gas became thicker, and Karma couldn't see Nagisa anymore.

"NAGISA! I LOVE YOU!"

If Nagisa was going to die, that was what Karma wanted him to hear last.

"I LOVE YOU NAGISA! PLEASE! STAY STRONG! DON'T-" Karma choked back a sob, "PLEASE DON'T DIE ON ME YET!"

A puff of gas hit the glass, and Karma found himself flinching away, even if he knew it wouldn't get in.

Maybe Nagisa would brush his hands along his wrist with his gentle fingers, maybe he'd scoop Iyuka into his arms and carry her home. Maybe he'd blink and realize he could live another day. Maybe he'd look at Karma in the eyes and smile and maybe he'd die with his eyes open so that he could watch Iyuka and Karma leave safely.

Maybe...

Maybe this was really all for the best.

"I LOVE YOU!" Karma shouted.

It was a silent moment, one that brought a dark dread to his stomach. Four long seconds passed, and Karma wondered if, maybe, Nagisa was already gone and he wasn't alive and his words were all for nothing. Maybe Nagisa wanted to speak but couldn't.

Maybe he had nothing to say.

And then -

"I love you too."