40: Iyuka

She liked them. 

Her hands were always cold, and often so her feet. The other kids, barely walking, often wrinkled their noses at her because of it. But that was how it was, and she couldn't change that. She'd tried.

She looked down at the pallor of her skin under the darkness of the night sky, the moon and stars providing little light. 

She didn't often get out to see the sun, other then when it trickled in from the windows, and the few times she went outside she would always find herself tripping, so she cried whenever the older people would try to force her into the backyard until they would leave her alone.

But that was fine for her. She didn't see the importance of being outside anyways, her skin was so pale she burned so very quickly. That being said, she did like butterflies and all the colors that surrounded her. They were like her family, quiet and soft, like a warm, invisible blanket that didn't see the need to scream or cry when she refused to speak loudly. 

But she liked these people. 

Maybe it was the fact that the shorter one was just as pale as her. 

Maybe it was the fact that he too had cold hands, but as he cupped her face, they were alarmingly friendly and gentle, as if he molded them to be like that just for her. 

Maybe it was his soft, light voice that also seemed sharp and commanding and at ease all at the same time. 

Maybe it was his eyes, so brilliant and colorful that often reminded her of the sky, or his matching hair that seemed so tender.

Or maybe it was the other one. 

Maybe it was his tall body that emanated a calming heat, drawing her closer as she gazed at the fiery colors that were associated with his hair and irises. 

Maybe it was his lax grin, or his straight pose that drew her attention forwards.

Perhaps it was his slightly tanned skin that made him seem like he glowed, making him seem friendly past his somewhat scary exterior. 

Maybe because he didn't need to talk, like her, and just a single glance to the blue-haired male was enough conversation between them. 

Perhaps it was both of them. 

The way they both saw her instantly, and how they had ignored all of the other kids who had been acting so very robotic and on their best behavior.

How, out of all of the other kids, they picked her and something sparked within all three of them when they made eye contact.

They all knew at that moment.

They were made to be family.

She didn't really know, but as they looked at her, she had a good feeling in her chest as she proudly whispered, "I wike yu."

The one with the flaming hair smiled. "I wike yu too," he replied back, booping her nose gently. 

She giggled. 

"She's the one," Karma said to his companion. 

Nagisa smiled. "Yes. She is."

--------------

The person up front spluttered at their decision. He seemed surprised for some reason. "A-are you sure you want her, gentlemen?" He asked warily. "I mean, not that she's a bad kid or anything, but she's not the best for-"

"I'm perfectly aware that she's not as sociable as the others, Retch-san," Nagisa started coldly. "But I didn't ask for your opinion, and she's a perfect little girl. I don't see what's the trouble."

Mr. Retch spluttered again. "Akabane-san," the older man stammered. "I have already gained several complaints from parents who returned her after taking her in for only a month or less! I just want to warn you before I give you the burden-"

"She is not a burden," Nagisa stated icily, and the man shivered under his forceful gaze, knowing, somehow, that the man glaring at him was someone to fear. "And I don't understand what the holdup is for adopting her. You are supposed to help get these children adopted, are you not? Because you are currently doing a terrible job, and I'm half tempted to talk to your manager and get you fired."

The man gulped. "I-I shall get your papers ready soon. I'm afraid you'll have to wait a few days-"

"No," Nagisa said. "I'm taking my daughter home today. You don't have any other customers at the moment, and you know as well as I do that there isn't any holdup. Print the paperwork out, now."

"A-Akabane-san," the man faltered slightly, but regained his composure. "I'm afraid that is against the rules. I cannot give you special treatment just because you want it."

Nagisa was eerily calm. When he spoke, it was soft and as sharp as knives. "You will get the paperwork, right now, if you don't want to regret it. I could easily fire you, but that would be too easy. No," he paused. "I would kill you. I will kill you."

Karma gave his husband an approving smirk before turning to look at Retch.

"I wouldn't doubt him if I were you~ Come on, go fetch~."

Retch fell silent before stammering quietly. 

"I'll get the paperwork now."

-----------------

The little girl was bundled up in several blankets to keep her warm in the cold night as she left the orphanage, her small stuffed fox in hand. She was placed in Karma's arms, and the wedded couple stood close to one another, their hands brushing up against each other as they walked until Nagisa took the little girl's hand in his own.

"You're amazing, you know that, Iyuka?" Nagisa said, brushing out a lock of stray hair from her half-lidded eyes as she was starting to fall into a deep slumber. Her new father was very warm, and she felt protected in his arms. "I can already tell we'll be a happy family."

Her midnight purple hair swayed in the wind and her pale teal eyes shimmered.

"Yeah..."