6: New Features

3rd POV

Nagisa stood at the door of his apartment, taking a deep breath before preparing himself to go inside.

Step one: Pigtails out.
Step two: Tie off.
Step three: Prepare to be called a girl.

Nagisa was ready. He opened the door.

"Oka-san? I'm home!" He called into the house. No reply.

"Huh. She must be out." Nagisa thought before shrugging. He set down his bag in his room and went straight to the bathroom.

It was time to find out what had happened to him.

Using some of his mother's makeup removing wipes, he took off the concealer which covered his newly acquired scales. If Nagisa was quite honest, they were pretty, at the very least. They were based with the color blue, but when they shimmered in the light, the shine was a teal-ish lime color. Nagisa opened his mouth. He still had fangs. He was quite happy his tongue stayed normal, that'd be harder to hide. Nagisa put his hair in a high ponytail to keep it out of his face as he looked at his new features.

Nagisa tapped his scales harshly and hissed back in pain. So they were sensitive, alright. 

Nagisa looked back into the mirror, directly into his eyes. While his pupils had thinned out a little bit, it looked to be that if you weren't looking for that change you wouldn't notice it. His eyes were brighter, yes, but not that many shades so Nagisa was just going to have to hope people would pass it off as lighting.

As for that second kind of vision, Nagisa was stumped. He had no idea how to activate it, and he wasn't really all that keen to find out more hidden snake-like attributes he had in the process.

Nagisa sighed and slid down the wall.

"Why me? Of all the people in the world, why do I have to be Shiota Nagisa: the half snake assassin?"

The Next Day

Kayano stood at her desk, waiting for Nagisa.

Nakamura came in first, walking with Karma.

"Hey Rio-chan, have you seen Nagisa?" Kayano asked. Nakamura shook her head.

"No, I thought he would already be at school." The blonde responded.

"I haven't seen him here. I hope he's alright."

"Me too."

"Do you think he stayed home because his dad...?"

"Maybe, but I'd rather he be here so we can help him. For all I know we are the only ones who know."

The girls shared a concerned look before they were cut off by the bell and the entrance of Korosensei.

"Where is Nagisa-kun?" Korosensei asked Nakamura and Kayano.

"We don't know Sensei." Kayano answered for them.

"Hm, alright. I'll check up on him later." Korosensei began class.

Second Period

Nagisa ran up to the school building, having just earned himself a new batch of bruises.

"Sorry I'm late!" Nagisa apologized, running into class.

"Ah, Nagisa-kun, I was just about to go make sure you were alright." Korosensei stated.

"Don't worry Sensei, just some family matters." Nagisa stated, smiling a forced smile.

"Alright then, please join the class." Korosensei directed, and Nagisa did as told.

Once the class ended, Kayano grabbed Nagisa and dragged him into the forest, Nakamura following closely behind.

"Are we alone?" Kayano checked the surrounding treetops to make sure a certain yellow blob wasn't spying on them.

"He could be anywhere, make sure you don't miss a spot." Nakamura suggested. The three started looking more fervently, and Nagisa checked for any wavelengths in the area, using all the skills he had been taught to detect anyone's presence.

"We're alone." Nagisa stated confidently.

"Alright, since we're alone now... does 'family matters' mean what we think it does?" Nakamura prodded, looking at Nagisa with a mix of concern and pity.

"If it does you shouldn't skip school, we can't be there for you if you keep hiding away." Kayano consoled.

"It's not my father, if that's what your saying..." Nagisa muttered, looking down at the now interesting grass as he regretted saying that.

"Tell them the truth, Nagisa-kun."

The trio whipped around in shock.

"It was your mother again, wasn't it?"