CHAPTER 4- MAHA

Fawaz walked in the lobby carrying a tray with a file under his arm. He stood in front of a posh cabin door, he smiled looking at the golden name plate

TASNEEM SHAH

PRESIDENT

He dreams to be here someday but for now he should take small baby steps, his first step being promoted as Senior Manager. He knocked the cabin door, a stern female voice called from inside

'Come in'

Fawaz looked at his reflection and quickly adjusted his tie; taking a deep breath he entered.

A middle-aged woman is sitting on her chair talking to someone on phone, she gestured him to wait. Fawaz smiled nodding humbly. He placed the tray on the table and stood there holding the file in his hand. He patiently waits for his boss to cut the call.

Fawaz is a very talented man, he has impressed his bosses with this charm, his talent, and his dedication towards his work but Fawaz also makes sure to butter his seniors, he doesn't want to take any chances.

A few minutes later, Tasneem cuts the call. She looked at Fawaz and smiled. Fawaz greeted her which she returned warmly

'Maam, here your black coffee...just the way you like it' he said forwarding her the mug, Tasneem looked at him impressed. She took a sip as Fawaz forwarded her a file, containing all important bank details of this month.

'Hmm.... perfect coffee' she complimented and Fawaz smiled at her, he then explained the details in the file. While he explained, he noticed his boss looking lost and tensed.

'Maam, I hope you don't mind me asking...but why are you worried? Our bank has gained profit this month' he said softly.

Tasneem sighed removing her glasses.

'I wish it was about the bank... but it's something personal' she said putting her glasses back.

'Oh sorry.' Fawaz said apologetically.

She looked up at him with a sad expression on her face. Fawaz has always seen Mrs. Shah as strong woman, she is a widow but she has single handily managed her home and work. Fawaz really admired her and in fact even looks up at her as his role model.

'Fawaz, you are like my son. Can I share with you?' she said in small voice.

Fawaz felt proud when she addressed him as like her son, Tasneem has grown a liking for him, she trusted him more than any other employee here but she had never expressed it in words. Fawaz nodded formally

Tasneem shook her head, 'my daughter...Maha, she is getting too difficult.' she sadly, Fawaz sensed her tension.

'I and Maha's relationship got strained after her father passed away. And now she is behaving like a rebel...'Tasneem sighed, Fawaz noticed her eyes getting moist.

'Maam, you are her mother. A child can never be angry with their parents for long, she will accept you soon' Fawaz tried consoling her, Tasneem quickly wiped her tears and looked up at him

'I need some time to myself, please leave' she said, Fawaz nodded instantly and left. As he closed the door behind him he heard soft sobs. He felt bad but then decided it's better to not get involved in boss's personal matter. He pushed away the thought and returned to his cabin, resuming his work.