CHAPTER 23- TRUST AND GUILT

Maha tilted her head looking up at him, he looked down at her, 'Fawaz, I need to tell you something serious' she said.

'Hmmm...' he nodded

'I know I should have told you this earlier, but you must have realized. With my dad leaving us and Mom moving on has seriously affected me...I am sorry in advance if I do something rash...just don't make me' she said sincerely.

He frowned, 'Rash?'

Maha looked down fidgeting with the hem of her Tee, 'After everything I was on the anti-depressant after Sohaib left me I started to take a higher dose. And when I miss it, I get cranky. Seriously. I guess you remember the first time we met in the café...you were late and I over reacted. I had skipped the medicine. The night when we had kissed for the first time. I had felt different... I felt alive after ages, something I never felt with Sohaib. I couldn't stop thinking about you and so I sneaked into my Mom's room and got your number and texted you.

That night I slept very peacefully...Next day I thought of experimenting and so I didn't have the pills, but then... (She bit her lips and looked up at him) but we spend the silent time together made me feel light and happy. Then I started taking a lighter dose when we became friends because your company was giving me that solace.... that peace that I wanted. And when you asked to marry me, at first I thought you were fooling around. I loved Dad, Sohaib...both eventually left me and I couldn't risk this again as I had finally found happiness in our friendship. But then as you were leaving, I realized that I might love you. So, I thought to give us a chance' she explained herself.

Things got clearer for Fawaz and now he is engulfed with new fear. The consequence of his lie could have bigger and negative affect on Maha. She will be shattered if and when the truth comes out in open. How long will he be able to hide the truth? How will she react?

'I was wondering if I have cheated on my first love by loving again, just like my mom. That's why I asked' she said feeling guilty.

Fawaz held her cheeks 'No you aren't cheating anyone, the way you described your feelings with me I am 100% sure that you love me and only me' he kissed her forehead, 'and stop thinking about that jerk. Don't stress over him.' he then wrapped his arms around her waist pulling her closer 'The only man you are supposed to be thinking about...is me' he whispered huskily, she blushed little before moving his arm.

'You don't hate me, after my confession...don't judge me?' she said sadly

Fawaz placed his fingers under her chin and made her look at him.

'Never...you are the most innocent girl I have met' he said and then leaned forward kissing her forehead, she smiled and shifting closer she wrapped her arms around his waist.

After a while, she whispered, ''I am ready...' Fawaz looks at her but she has her eyes closed, 'to be yours forever...' she whispers breathlessly.

Fawaz made her look at him, and she slowly upped her lashes and looked at him shyly. Fawaz stood up and extended his hand. Maha blushed taking his hand. Together they walked towards the bed. Fawaz held her shoulder, she lowered her lashes as he made her sit on the bed. He kneeled in front of her and took her hand in his. She blushed harder as he caressed the back of her palms. All the while he admired her hands, she has perfect long slender fingers and manicured nails. He looked up at her, he blinked slowly, smiling at her. He leaned forward. Maha closed her eyes smiling at he kissed her forehead.

'You must be tried...tomorrow we have to get up, early right? We will do this leisurely...'he said winking at her, she chuckled as he walked towards his side. She hugged him.

'Good night.' she snuggled closer to him.

'I love you.' she whispered. Fawaz doesn't respond but he simply caressed her hair until he heard her soft snores.

Carefully he placed her head on the pillow and climbed down the bed, he managed to get a cigarette. He glanced at Maha before walking towards the window. He opened the glass and stared out. He lit his cigarette.

He took a puff, his guilty consciousness overpowering his senses. Maha confessed everything to him but he is hiding the other side of his, a side that will devastate her further. She was seriously depressed and he unknowingly brought her back out of depression and now when his truth comes out then how will she react? She will lose all the remaining trust she has. She revealed her vulnerable side to him and now he is adamant to tell her everything in a convincing manner once he gets his promotion. After few puffs later, he threw the cigarette taking out another one from the packet.