CHAPTER 35- THE NEW FAWAZ MALIK

Five years later,

Fawaz got up with the loud ringing of his alarm. He shifted in his bed groaning slightly annoyed with the ring. Five minutes later, his alarm rang again. He extended his hand and pressed the alarm. He sat up rubbing his eyes and yawning. He glanced at the alarm clock, 6am. It is time for his morning jog. He stood up stretched and walked towards the window. He opened the curtains and stared out at the dimly lit morning sky. The sun is about rise and the gentle breeze making the whole environment even more serene.

Though everything is fresh and calm there is a strange sadness inside Fawaz's heart, a sense of emptiness.

He sighed and closed the window. He walked towards his cupboard and took out his jogging suit.

His parents are still asleep, so he slowly climbed down the stairs and quietly exited the house.

***********************

After his jog when he returned he saw his parents in the kitchen. He smiled at them. His father looked up from his newspaper and returned to reading it like he had seen no one. Begum forced a smile but that didn't reach her eyes. Fawaz knew there is a distance between him and his parents, a distance that might never be filled. He sighed sadly and made his way upstairs. In these five years, Fawaz got used to the loneliness. He sat on his bed, he turned his head and smiled looking at the photo frame on the bedside table.

He picked up the frame, Maha's face smiled at him from behind the frame. He smiled caressing her photo. Whenever he felt upset and lonely, he spends his time staring at her photo talking to it.

'You know Maha, I met a small boy at the park. He was crying because he wanted a balloon which his mother wasn't buying, guess what I did....'

After talking to her photo for a while, Fawaz wiped his tears and stood up. It is time for work. He took out his formal suit and is about to go to shower when there is a knock at the door. Fawaz turned his head and smiled at his mother who stood at the doorsteps holding a tray of toast and juice.

'Breakfast.' She said not looking at Fawaz. Before he could answer she walked into the room. Fawaz watched her sadly as she placed the tray on the side table. Her gaze briefly lingered on Maha's photo before she straightened up. She didn't look at Fawaz and walked out. Fawaz felt like a stranger in his own home.

Well, he deserved it anyway, his greed not only destroyed three lives, his, Maha's and Miara's but also his parents. Fawaz took his clothes and disappeared into the bathroom.

**************************

'Good morning, sir!' The watchmen, a peon and then a liftman wished Fawaz, he smiled formally at them. As he stood inside the elevator a woman too entered, she looked from behind her cat-shaped glasses and her hazel orbs met Fawaz's. He smiled at her, 'Good morning, Maam.' He wished his boss, Mrs. Tasneem Shah. She didn't smile but simply glared at him. She turned her back to him. Fawaz knows very well, why she is upset with him. Any mother will be upset with the man who broke her daughter so badly. If she had her way Fawaz would have been jobless, but the board members insisted Fawaz be there in the bank as he is one of their finest employees they don't want to lose an important employee.

The elevator door opened and Mrs. Shah stepped aside, Fawaz smiled at her but again she ignored him turning her head to the other side.

As he walked through the corridor he didn't feel the excitement he used five years ago. Everything felt monotonous and things that made him happy before depressed him now. He stood by his door and stared at the golden words stuck to his cabin door

FAWAZ MALIK

SENIOR BANK MANAGER

HMI BANK

He sighed looking at it sadly. Like always he thought the same thing as he stared at it. Was this worth everything that happened. And like always he had no answer.

'Hello, sir!' a bright voice greeted him. Fawaz quickly wiped his tears with his index finger and turned to look at a young man beaming at him as he walked towards him. He is Akash Mehra, a trainee once and now his junior.

'Hello.' Fawaz said in a small yet formal tone. Akash opened his mouth to say something but Fawaz walked inside his cabin. Akash shrugged and walked away towards his cabin.