CHAPTER 54- BACK HOME

As expected no one came to receive him at the airport. Fawaz isn't saddened, he had expected this. His parents don't care about him anymore, he lives as a stranger in his own home. Fawaz felt miserable returning into his miserable life.

He took out his phone and booked a cab. Soon, the cab arrived and he silently got into the cab. He stared from the window.

Soon, he reached home. His mother reflexively smiled at him but quickly fixed her expressions.

'Someone...has come to see you...'she said and turned disappearing into the living room. Fawaz frowned. He climbed upstairs and noticed the door to his room open. He entered.

'Miara.' He is shocked to see her here.

'Fawaz.' She gushed happily. Fawaz left his luggage and looked at her, he is surprised to see her here. She hurried towards him with open arms but before she could hug him she stopped, Fawaz took a step back. Both looked away.

'Sorry.' She mumbled.

Fawaz forced a smile, 'You here?'

Miara nodded, 'Few days back, my...parents called me...they want me to be back home.' She said and waited for Fawaz to respond. He blinked at her before smiling widely at her, 'that is a great news.' He said happily and Miara smiled as well.

'But I am nervous to go meet them again.' she said sounding confused. Fawaz placed his palm on her shoulder and she looked down, 'Miara, lucky are those who have a family,' he felt the tight lump in his throat as he recollected his children and Maha's smiling face. He quickly blinked his tears, 'Don't let them go.' He said.

Miara noticed his sad face, 'Fawaz, what is wrong? You aren't looking...'

'I am fine.' Fawaz lied turning around, a tear drop escaped his eye. Miara held his arm and turned him around, 'Fawaz, you know you can lie to the world but not me. I know you well.' She said annoyed.

Fawaz sighed and turned to look at her, he forced a smile. 'I am not lying, Miara. It is just that hearing about your parents I felt emotional.' He said. Miara looked at him suspiciously. Fawaz smiled and hugged her trying to distract her.

'I am very happy for you.' he whispered. Miara didn't say anything but simply hugged him back.

The two broke apart when they heard someone clear their throat.

Begum stood at the door and behind her a servant carrying a tray of two glass water. She looked at the two with an awkward expression on her face.

Miara glanced at Fawaz who is looking at his mother. Begum doesn't say a word to them but simply ordered the servant to place the tray on the bedside table. As the servant walked in she turned around and left. Fawaz looked at Miara who had a sad expression. Fawaz smiled at her. Whatever happened was his fault alone and he doesn't want Miara to feel guilty.

'I didn't know it is so bad. Your parents haven't forgiven you yet?' Miara asked once Fawaz had freshened up and changed into his casuals and the two sat at the edge of the bed. Fawaz sighed shaking his head. Neither his parents nor Maha has forgiven him, he thought sadly.

There is silence between them, Fawaz felt Miara shift uncomfortably, he didn't look at her though.

'You know why I am here...' Fawaz turned his head to look at her, she is in tears. She sighed and looked down at her fingers.

'Dad...he...' she fidgeted with her fingers. Fawaz heard her sniff, he placed his palm on her shoulder urging her to speak, 'He is...' she looked at him, 'dying.' She said, her lower lip trembled. Fawaz felt his heart sink. Miara clasped her palms together and began to cry.

'Shh...Nothing will happen to him.' Fawaz side hugged her and consoled her caressing her arm.

'I want to meet him...but.... I...am scared...'Miara cried.

'Don't cry, I will come with you. I will be by your side.' He assured her. Miara leaned forward, fisting his shirt tightly she began crying. Fawaz had tears in his own eyes as he consoled her.

********************

That evening itself they left for Miara's place. Fawaz drove Miara to her parent's residence in a nearby colony where they live.

Fawaz sensed Miara's nervousness, she is going to meet her parents after five long years there must be waves of mixed emotions running through her. He held her hand gently squeezing it as they wait in the elevator to take them to the fifth floor. Miara looked at him and he smiled assuring. She looked away tapping her feet and biting her lips.

Soon they stood in front of an apartment, there is a golden nameplate on the wooden door. Miara caressed her father's name, a lone tear escaping her eyes. Fawaz placed a hand over her shoulder squeezing it gently. She rang the doorbell.

Soon a maid opened the door, as she looked at Miara her smile widened.

'Maam' she said excitedly, she then turned around and called excitedly.

'Badi Madam...choti Madam has come.' Miara smiled little on seeing the enthusiasm. They hear hurried footsteps and Miara inhaled sharply. Soon her mother appeared at the door steps looking surprised, as she looked at Fawaz and Miara in disbelief. She hurried to them and hugged her daughter breaking down instantly, Miara held her mother but she doesn't cry.

'My beta' she said in between her sobs, 'How are you, my dear?' she asked and then broke the hug, she looked at Fawaz. He gulped, now it's his turn to feel nervous, one way or the other he felt responsible for the fall out between Miara and her parents.

'Ma, Fawaz...' Miara said, Fawaz nodded his head smiling humbly. Her mother doesn't respond and turned to look at her daughter again.

'Your dad wants to see you...' she said, Miara nodded her head. She looked at Fawaz before walking towards her father's master bedroom, Fawaz too moved to go behind her but her mother stepped in

'You stay here' she sternly, Fawaz looked at her surprised.

'Vandana, get him something to drink' she said to the maid who nodded obediently. Miara's mother followed Miara into the room, the maid gestured Fawaz to take his seat on the sofa. He didn't say a word but simply sat and waited patiently for Miara to come out after meeting her father.

One hour later, the mother-daughter duo came out. Both looked very emotional, tears following down their cheeks and both held their hands. Fawaz stood up, Miara hurried towards him and hugged him tightly, sobbing into his chest. Fawaz hugged her back assuring her that no matter what happens he is there for her.