CHAPTER 16- MARRIAGE ON THE CARDS?

As expected convincing his parents was the easy part. It took Fawaz only one sentence to convince them, 'Mom Dad, I want to get married. His mother jumped with joy and first thing she did after ensuring that he wasn't joking she called Najma and taunted her, she had claimed Fawaz will never get a bride. Fawaz's father was more than happy that his son is finally settling down. Amidst all happiness no one noticed the guilty Fawaz, he is the only one feeling hollow inside. He felt like a cunning selfish man, who for his selfish reason is playing with a girl's emotions, also his parent's.

That weekend Fawaz dressed in blue shirt, denim jeans and grey blazer. As he combed his jet-black hair, Begum entered his room and handed him a gift box

'I got this dress for my daughter in law' she said happily.

Fawaz frowned and placed it on the bed, 'So, I am not your daughter in law' he said agitatedly. Begum is taken aback by his tone but doesn't react perhaps she thinks he is nervous.

Fawaz silently drove them to Tanseem's bungalow. Begum and Naveen sat in the back seat having some petty argument over the colour of the dress.

Begum excitedly rang the bell and within minutes a short stubby man opened the door, with his attire it was clear he is the help in the house.

Begum greeted him happily as well, she is bursting with happiness. The servant guided them in, they are greeted by Tasneem in the hallway. Begum walked towards her hugging her tight, Fawaz frowned noticing Tasneem feeling no remorse, does she even have a heart? How can she do like this to her daughter? Has she been brainwashed by that Mr. Khanna, Maha was talking about?

Tasneem led them to the living room, Fawaz took his seat on the single sofa and his parents on the double sofa beside him while Tasneem took her seat on the single sofa opposite Fawaz across the table.

Begum and she began to talk something in which Tasneem didn't seem interested but out of formality she was nodding and pretending to listen.

Fawaz took this time to look around, the living room isn't that large. There is a red and maroon Persian carpet underneath their feet, there is showcase behind them having few awards, photo frames, there is a huge desk having a small statue of a pigeon and a bowl made of china glass, in the corner, there is huge 4 feet flower vase containing fake flowers.

Just then a servant came in and Tasneem asked him to get Maha. On hearing her name Fawaz looked around attentive.

Minutes later Fawaz could hear slight anklet sound, his heart beating increasing at a steady pace as the anklet sound approached them. Fawaz shifted in his place feeling nervous, he adjusted his coat. Soon Maha entered and one look at her Fawaz is blown away.

She is dressed in blood red saree with golden borders and a short sleeved golden blouse, half of her hair resting on one side of her shoulder and rest behind her. She had few bangles dangling around her slim white wrists and a small golden chain around her neck. She had worn minimum makeup making her look very elegant. She held a tray with few tea cups and walked confidently towards them. Begum smiled seeming impressed. Fawaz's gaze fell on her swaying hips and he noticed her slightly exposed waist, there is a thin golden waist chain doing peekaboo from under her Pallu. He very uncomfortable because looking at her is turning him on. She kneeled placing the tray on the table, she picked up one tea cup and forwarded first to Begum and other to Naveen.

She then picked up another teacup standing up, she bent little forwarding the tea cup to Fawaz. He gulped on noticing little of her exposed cleavage, he took the tea cup looking away from her for second before looking back at her. Maha caught his gaze and winked at him smirking.

Begum made Maha sit beside her

'You are so beautiful, even more from up close' she complimented and Maha smiled. Fawaz tried ignoring everyone and focus on drinking his tea. Begum transformed into an FBI agent and began to question every minor details from Maha, like her hobbies, her education, her future planning. She is amazed to discover Maha has done fashion designing course from the US and now works in as a reputed designer. Naveen suggested Maha to help Begum improve her fashion taste. Begum glared at him but he flashed a playful smile and she melted. Naveen then went on to talk about his lineage, he told them about how rich and famous his forefathers were but he conveniently skipped the "we spend so much on useless junkies that now we are bankrupt" part. Fawaz felt them being from Nawab family isn't a plus point, in fact, it the most embarrassing part of their family.

After a while Tasneem suggested Maha and Fawaz to spend some time together, it was just a formality but Fawaz isn't complaining. It will give him some time alone with Maha, also he will be spared from the nonsense his parents are talking.

Fawaz nodded standing up and smiled at Maha. She smiled standing up too.

'I have been at your place but only in your room', he said with a naughty smile and Maha smacked his arm playfully. She smiled looking away tucking few random strands of her hair behind her ears. As they walked down the hallway towards the staircase, Fawaz purposefully brushed his fingers against the back of her palm and heard her gasps. She looked at him and blushed, Fawaz didn't know she could blush so much. Blushing she looks so beautiful. As they climbed the staircase Fawaz held her wrist making her eyes widen with shock.

'Maha?' he asked softly, she nodded her head. He then leads her to her room, once in Fawaz closed the door behind him. He took her hand in his, all this while staring into her eyes

'Are you happy with this marriage?' he asked seriously

Maha frowned jerking her hand, 'Why are you asking this? You love me, right? Are you planning something?' she accused him straight way, Fawaz looked on shocked. How can her mood change so fast? Maybe she is insecure because of her previous boyfriend.

Fawaz placed his hand on her shoulder, 'I am sure of marrying you but I want to know your decision' he said calmly.

She hugged him tightly, 'Please don't leave me, everybody close to me leaves me...but please you don't' she murmured making his heart melt, he caressed her back. They part and she quickly wiped her tears.

'I am sorry' she sniffed, Fawaz took her hand, 'So?' he asked again

'I want to marry you' she replied confidently, Fawaz smiled and leaning forward he kissed her forehead and then hugged her again.

The next fifteen minutes they spend their time sitting on the edge of her bed, there is a serene silence between them, Fawaz slowly moved his hand, resting his palm over hers. He gently caressed the back of her palm. She smiled.