CHAPTER 11- HAPPY BIRTHDAY

Maha smiled nodding, Fawaz kneeled next to the table. He lit the candle, he held Maha's hand and made her sit beside him. Maha wiped her tears and sat beside him, she folded her legs and tugged them under her. She looked at Fawaz and smiled at him. He handed her a knife.

'Happy birthday to you...' Fawaz sang softly clapping gently as she blew the candles. She looked at him smiling, Fawaz urged her to cut the cake. Smiling dreamily, she cuts the cake and forwarded a small piece of cake towards Fawaz's mouth. He smiled taking a bite, he then cuts another piece and fed Maha. She blushed little eating the cake from his hand.

'I didn't know today was your birthday, else I would have gotten you a gift' Fawaz said

They were done with cake cutting and feeding, now they were sitting on the floor leaning against the bed. Maha had her head resting on his shoulder while Fawaz has his arm around her shoulder.

'You gave me the best gift of my life' she whispered. Fawaz tilted his head looking at her, she lifts her head and looked at him. A small smile on her lips and her eyes twinkling, Fawaz felt his heart pinch, what is he doing?

'I thought your boyfriends were always there for you at your birthdays' he said looking front at the table. Maha sighed sadly

'I had only one boyfriend, Sohaib. But he turned to be two-timing jerk' she said bitterly and Fawaz looked at her surprised. Maha shifted in her place separating their frame she looked at him

'I lied to you...I don't have many boyfriends? But I want my mom to know that I have many...and you knew her so I lied to you. Also (she looked down drawing pattern with her fingers on the carpet) I was really attracted to you but I didn't want any serious relationship that is why I lied to you. I thought after knowing that I have many men in my life you will maintain some distance from me and it will be easy to break off if things get serious' she said. Fawaz blankly staring at her.

'Sohaib was the only one who managed to break the barrier around me, he tolerated all my tantrums and I thought he really liked me but... (She sighed softly) he was two-timing behind my back. When I confronted him, he said he wanted to take our relationship to the next level but I wasn't willingly so he was seeking other options' Maha said, her lips trembled and her voice quivering. Fawaz placed his hand on her shoulder

'I don't trust anyone now' she said. Fawaz placed his fingers under her chin making her look at him.

'You can trust me' he said genuinely. She shook her head sideways

'I am scared' she said, she sounded like a small vulnerable kid. Fawaz placed her head on his shoulder and side hugged her tightly, he caressed her head

'Relax...'he whispered softly.

They sat there in silence, Fawaz looked at her when he heard soft snores. Maha had slept off in his arms, he moved her head gently and casually he scooped her in arms. He placed her on the bed and covered her with a duvet up to her chin. She is breathing steadily, her lips slightly parted. Fawaz smiled looking at her, she looked very angelic. He caressed her head and placed a gentle kiss on her forehead

'Don't worry Maha, I will find a perfect groom for you. You will fall in love again, trust me' he promised more to himself than her.

As he left through the window he had mentally decided to find the perfect groom for her. At first, he had taken the offer for his promotion but now it has become personal. Tonight, he saw another side of Maha, a vulnerable side of her. He must accept he does have a soft corner for her and he can't see her upset and disturbed.

That night Fawaz spend making accounts on various matrimonial sites for Maha, he had gotten her photo from Tasneem long back. He scanned through many profiles but he didn't find anyone interesting. He even spoke to Zeeshan but he was still in his honeymoon zone.

That night, Fawaz had a very troubled sleep.