CHAPTER 51- FAWAZ'S MAHA

Next morning Fawaz felt a heavy weight on his back as he slept on his stomach.

'Uncle...uncle' he heard the kids' squeaky voices, they sounded very excited. Fawaz turned around and found Majid and Faheem's smiling faces. Seeing happy faces of his sons filled his heart with warmth.

'Wake up, how much will you sleep?' Majid complained placing his hands on his hips

'Come play with us.' Faheem said with a pout, Fawaz nodded at them. He threw his blanket off him and climbed down the bed feeling rejuvenated. The kids too excitedly started to jump up and down around him, their giggles filling the room.

Just then Kiah entered the room and everyone paused, Fawaz looked at her, she seems tired and this worried Fawaz.

'Kids let Uncle freshen up and have breakfast.' she said calmly, her voice hoarse. The kids didn't argue, perhaps they noticed their mother's tired face.

'You okay?' Fawaz asked her concerned once they were alone.

She nodded, she then looked at him, 'I was thinking about everything you said last night...'she said lowering her gaze.

Fawaz felt bad that because of him she is so disturbed, always he manages to hurt her one way or the other.

'Kiah...please don't think too much about it, you are my friend and that is why I shared with you' Fawaz said feeling apologetic. Kiah looked at him

'You really love your wife?' she asked again, Fawaz wondered why she kept asking this repeatedly.

'Yes.' He nodded his head looking directly into her eyes hoping she saw his love in them, the trick worked as he noticed her melting.

Kiah quickly looked away, she placed her arms around her and turned away.

'Breakfast is ready, get ready' she said simply and walked out from the room. Fawaz watched her go.

***************************

Kiah Fawaz and the kids left for the park after breakfast, the kids were overjoyed having their mother and uncle Fawaz with them meanwhile Fawaz is also excited having to spend time with his family, he wishes he could openly refer Kiah as his wife and the kids as his, just like he had always wanted to.

Fawaz sat on the bench watching the kids run and play among themselves, beside him Kiah is sitting watching them as well, in between, he kept stealing glances at her and once caught her looking at him as well and this made him smile. For some reason, it seemed like she is hiding something and at times it felt like she wants to confess something but is holding herself back.

The kids came to them and demanded their parents to join them, Kiah is reluctant but Fawaz and kids managed to convince her.

Kiah smiled as she is made to sit on the swing.

'Uncle' Faheem said to Fawaz to push the swing from behind, Kiah stopped smiling but Fawaz didn't hesitate and nodded his head.

He accidentally placed his hand on hers on the swing and she stiffened, Fawaz knew she had felt the familiar jolt that he felt as well. Gently he began to push the swing, hesitant at first Kiah soon started enjoying herself, seeing her smile and listening to her chuckle made Fawaz feel elated. He can do anything to see her happiness even if it meant going away from her, the thought made his heart churn with agony and so Fawaz shoved it behind his head.

When they returned all of them were tired and soon retired to their rooms.

*******************************

Fawaz came out of the shower smiling dreamily, today was a blissful day as he spent his day with his family and nothing can beat that happiness. He quickly changed into his casuals. As he is about open the door, Kiah entered and both almost collided with each other but narrowly missed.

'Sorry.' both mumbled at the same time, they look at each other and smiled.

'Come, dinner is ready.' Kiah said

Fawaz nodded, 'You go ahead I will come in two minutes.'

Kiah nodded and left.

After freshening up, Fawaz walked towards the living room and on the way, his gaze fell on Kiah who was in the kitchen.

She prepared dinner and Fawaz didn't fail to hear a soft sob. He frowned entering the kitchen.

'Everything all, right?' he asked her

She looked at him and quickly wiped her tears

'Nothing, I am fine' she lied looking away from him, her avoiding his gaze clearly meant she is lying.

'I am your friend, right?' he said

She looked at him and then looked away, 'it's personal...'she said turning around walking towards the utensil rack and getting two cups

'But you can share with your friend?' Fawaz probed her further, she placed the cups on the slab and grabbed the sugar bowl

'At times, there are people who pretend to be friends for their own selfish reasons.' she said calmly filling the cup with one spoon sugar, her statement startled Fawaz. Is she is talking like this judging him from the past he narrated or she remembers? Now, Fawaz is suspicious.

'Kiah, what are you talking about?' he asked sounding innocent

Kiah looked at him and Fawaz noticed her eyes moist and is taken aback.

'My husband did the same...he pretended to be my friend first to gain my trust...and I don't want to be fooled again.' she said looking directly into his eyes making Fawaz feel guilty.

There is an uncomfortable silence, Kiah turned back to the aloo paratha placed on the stove. Fawaz gulped.

He hesitated before saying, 'What if your husband is guilty? And really sorry for what he did with you?' Fawaz asked, Kiah doesn't respond for a second and then said without looking at him.

'I hate him' she said turning the paratha to the other side, Fawaz felt his heart sink on hearing this. She hates him, he was hoping she has melted after he confessed his feelings to her last night. Especially after knowing he hadn't married Miara and was still committed to her and only her.

'If you really hate him, then why haven't you moved on?' he asked after a while, Kiah turned looking at him.

'I have...I don't remember anything about him, if he was important I would have remembered him' she said placing the paratha on plate, she sighed, 'anyway I think I wasn't even in love with him, I guess I needed someone with me when I was disturbed and he came along and so I got attached to him.' she said. She looked at him before turning around to leave.

Fawaz frowned, what does she mean by saying she wasn't even in love with him? Of course, she was and still is in love with him and he will prove it to her.

'Maha' he called

'Yes.' she turned.