CHAPTER 38- A NEW WOMAN IN FAWAZ'S LIFE

Zeeshan and Fawaz walked into the hall where everyone had gathered, once they came in everyone's gaze fell on them. Fawaz felt conscious with all gaze boring into them

'Thank God, you are better looking than me.' Zeeshan whispered to Fawaz making him smirk. Fawaz noticed many ladies especially the young girls eyeing him. It felt good.

Maham stood along with her friend chit chatting something, while the elders have made their own group, talking among themselves. Fawaz and Zeeshan joined the young lad's group. There is still time for the cake cutting.

The topic of discussion was boring and so Fawaz is moving his gaze elsewhere looking around.

There are many people gathered here tonight, people of all age groups. Fawaz wondered if whole Dehradun has been invited, it's a small place after all.

As he looked around, his gaze gets caught on a woman, his eyes almost widen with shock.

Those eyes, those big bambi hazel eyes. He felt his heart flutter on seeing them, he can recognize them even in his sleep.

He moved closer, she is clad in a neon green chiffon saree and a black sleeveless blouse. She is wearing long golden Jhumkas and her hair tied in a bun with ghajra tied around it. He squinted his eyes to have a proper look; he noticed her pulp lips adorned with blood red lip stick. But his gaze darted back to her kohl adorned Hazel eyes, they are the same. She is...

'Maha' Fawaz whispered.

Fawaz couldn't believe what he saw, he hurried towards the woman squeezing his way through the crowd. He could see nothing but the woman. Fawaz felt waves of mixed feelings, he felt his heart hammering in his chest with excitement. As he hurried, someone held his arm and he turned around agitated glaring at the person.

It was Zeeshan who had held his arm.

'Come...its cake cutting time' he said tugging his hand

'Yeah' Fawaz said clearing distracted, he turned around and frowned on noticing her missing. She was Maha, he is confident and 100% convinced he had seen her. But is he hallucinating?

The cake cutting ceremony began but Fawaz is the least bit interested, he kept looking around searching for her. It can't be some girl he assumed to be his Maha, he knew those eyes like the back of his hand. It must be her in real or his imagination, Fawaz hopes its former.

His distracted when the entire place echoed with applause and everyone singing in unison as the couple cut their cake, Fawaz is frustrated now.

After the cake cutting ceremony, Fawaz walked towards the drink counter; he needed something to clear his head. Just then he noticed her again, she is standing at the ice cream counter. She is holding a bowl and looking at all the ice cream flavors as though deciding what to take.

Fawaz looked at her intently, that innocence...it remains the same even after so many years. Now he is positive that it is her. He smiled broadly as he walked towards her pretending to get ice cream.

'Butter scotch is good' he whispered; he could feel his heart thumping inside his chest as he stood next to her.

How will she react? Will she shout at him, knowing her well he won't be surprised if she slaps him? This time Fawaz won't feel insulted, he deserves all the slaps.

She turned to look at him and their eyes met, first time after five years. Fawaz felt his heart skip a beat as their gaze gets locked.

Fawaz stared into her eyes feeling so blissful he has felt in years; their eye lock was only for few minutes. She broke the eye lock and looked at the flavors again

'But I don't like that flavor' she complained cutely.

Gosh, her voice. He missed this melodious voice for so long, but then he frowned. Why did she react so calmly like they are meeting for the first time? She should have ignored him and walked away or slapped him like the first time she had when he had come late for their first meeting at the café. But here she seemed normal behaving like a stranger.

'How about vanilla?' she asked softly her gaze fixed on the ice-creams, Fawaz kept looking at her confused

'Maha...' he said feeling his heart in his throat. How is she going to react? She doesn't respond but kept looking at the ice creams.

Fawaz watched her, perhaps she is ignoring him. He is not going to give up, he knew something good was to happen tonight. He found her.

Maha looked at the man behind the counter and said, 'I will have one mango, one chocolate and one vanilla' she said forwarding three bowls

'You will fall ill, how many are you ordering?' Fawaz said holding her hand. The moment he held her hand he felt a familiar electric jolt he used to feel years ago when he touched her. Now he is fully convinced it's her. She seemed to have felt it too as she gasps, she moved her hand and glared at him.

'How dare you touch me?' she said sounding offended, confusing Fawaz. How dare he touch her? He is her husband.

'Maha... I agree I have wronged you, let's just sit and talk' he said gesturing towards the sofa. Maha blinked at him clueless and this irritated Fawaz, but then he smiled, she always had managed to irritate him with her loving and innocent act.

'Maha' Fawaz repeated lovingly

'Maha? Who is Maha?' she said simply.

Now it is Fawaz's turn to be surprised. He blinked at her not knowing how to react. She is mad at him but so much that she is refusing her own identity?

'You are Maha' he said after he had composed himself, she looked at him as though he is mad

'I am sorry, you are mistaken...I am not Maha...my name is Kiah...Kiah Zubair' she said matter of factly.