CHAPTER 40- KNOWING THE TRUTH

'Dude, are you sure it is her?' Zeeshan asked for the nth time

'Yes' Fawaz replied patiently for the nth time.

Both the men are sitting on the balcony sipping their wine. It's been one hour after the anniversary and Fawaz couldn't wait for next day to narrate the incident. He is really excited on finding Maha here, he has been waiting to see her for five years. He is happy more than that he relieved to see her safe.

'But then what is she doing with Dr. Zubair? And is she acting, or has she forgotten you?' Zeeshan asked the same questions are in Fawaz's mind. But then how can she forget him?

Fawaz took a sip of his wine and looked at his friend, 'only Maha can answer these questions, but one thing is sure she is not acting... no one can act that well' he said after some thought. Zeeshan nodded in agreement.

'Will she be coming tomorrow for the baby shower?' Fawaz asked after few minutes of silence. Zeeshan looked at him amused

'Dude, that's ladies function...we can't go' Zeeshan said like it was an obvious fact. Fawaz nodded

'I know, but I can get to meet her somewhere in or out.' Fawaz reasoned

Zeeshan thought for a while and nodded, 'She might come, she is with Dr. Zubair and they are very close to our family...'

Fawaz sipped his wine and looked up at the clear night sky, this Dr. Zubair character can also be helpful, maybe in these five years, she was with him. But then how did she land up with him here in Dehradun? There were so many questions, and all these questions didn't let him sleep that night. He spent his night going through her pics, it's been two years since he has visited this part of his phone's gallery. The face, those eyes...Fawaz could feel his eyes moist, and when tears fell from his eyes he didn't stop them.

Next night all the men left the bungalow for some men night out together, they were planning to camp for the night, have a bon fire, beer, and some manly talks. Fawaz excused himself stating his health isn't well, he will be staying upstairs in his room while the function will be taking place in the hall like last time.

Fawaz is pacing in his room, he could hear the folk songs, gossiping ladies, and giggling kids. He felt hesitant to leave the room but mustering his courage he peeped out of his room.

From above he can see the hall where the function is taking place, but he can't make out faces of anyone.

There are many ladies present there and in the center, Maham is sitting dressed in a beautiful red saree and few ladies surrounding her. Fawaz smiled looking at Maham, she is glowing these days; she is going to be a mother and Zeeshan is going to father, parenthood must be beautiful. Fawaz felt bad for himself, he wishes he could also experience this beautiful phase in his life.

And then Fawaz noticed a woman in a peach saree walk towards Maham, two twin boys following her. He recognized them, they are Maha and those kids whose names he forgot, but that is not important.

Fawaz smiled, it looked like the whole world wants him to meet his Maha.

********************

Fawaz quickly changed his attire into a proper one, he climbed down the stairs and into the hall. He doesn't feel awkward being the only man here, his mind too preoccupied with confronting Maha. He must get his answers else he will become insane, thinking and overthinking.

Finally, he came near her, he stood just behind her. Fawaz could feel his heart fluttering with excitement and anxiety. He closed his eyes inhaling her scent. Gosh! He missed her so much. He could feel goosebumps erupt feeling her to close to him. He looked at her closely. A pain in his heart when he realized they are so close yet so far. He sighed inwardly.

'Kiah?' he called from behind, instantly she turned around looking at him. Fawaz noticed her smile little, or did he imagine that? She then frowned at him

'What are you doing here?' she said rolling her eyes

Oh, she remembers him then, from yesterday or from five years ago.

'I wanted to talk to you' Fawaz said looking directly into her eyes hoping she will stop pretending and melt. But she kept blinking at him like he was some random stranger. She looked away, 'I don't talk to strangers' she said simply and is about to leave when Fawaz held her hand, he ignored the familiar jolt and kept looking at her. She turned to glare at him, but he smiled noticing the familiar spark in her eyes. The one that she always had before flipping out.

She jerked her hand from his grip and took a step closer to him, her hands folded across her chest. Fawaz smiled placing his hands into his pocket, yes victory. He noticed her eyes turning dark

'Get lost before I slap you...I don't want to create a scene here' she warned him, she then turned and is about to leave when Fawaz stepped in front of her

'Maha, please stop doing all this. I want things sorted between us...' he said, his expression soft. She is still glaring at him, 'I don't understand, what is your problem? I said I am Kiah...not Maha' she said darkly, Fawaz shook his head

'Why are you denying...Maha...please' Fawaz said his tone pleading.

He noticed her expression softening; he is feeling confident now. She composed herself taking a deep breath

'I have no idea what you are talking about and please stop stalking me.' she warned him again.

'Maha...' Fawaz called but she turned around disappearing into the crowd.

Fawaz doesn't give up, he kept following her ignoring looks and whispers from many ladies around him.

Kiah too noticed him but completely ignored him.

After some time, he saw her come to him, 'What is your problem?' she asked annoyed.

'I need to talk to you, just talk' Fawaz said.

She sighed in defeat, 'Okay, fine' she said and Fawaz's face lit, he smiled brightly.

'Not here' he said extending his hand to grab hers but she retreated her hand, Fawaz nodded and moved his hands back.