CHAPTER 6- FAWAZ MEETS MAHA

Next day Fawaz came to work with a gloomy expression on his face. He hated this monotonous life, he is working so hard since so long and now he is running out of patience, he is impatient for the result.

This evening is the Walima (reception). This time his mother had promised him she will personally decide his attire and make sure he wore that. Begum has seen a girl she found interesting, that girl works in an MNC. What's frightening is that the girl and his mother has shown interest in him. The thought itself is making Fawaz stressed.

He met Arshad in the elevator, can this day get any worse? Arshad beamed at him while Fawaz forced a smile.

'You are coming for Walima right?' Arshad asked as the elevator door shuts. Fawaz nodded, what other option does he have? His mother will force him anyway, it will lead to an unnecessary argument. He is going to lose to his mother anyway. So, what is the point?

With each floor the lift traveled, sharing space with Arshad made Fawaz feel miserable.

Fawaz couldn't concrete on his work, frustration building inside him. He wished Miara was there with him to comfort him, he used to share everything with her. And feel much better about himself. He had shared all his insecurities, fears, happiness. Somehow, she always had right words to tell him, encourage and motivate him.

He held his head in his palms. He felt like a loser; he isn't getting promoted, he has lost his girlfriend, his mother wants him to get married and produce babies. He groaned dropping his head on his desk, can things go any worse?

Just then he heard a soft knock at his door, he quickly composed himself.

'Come in' he said and a peon walked into his cabin. Fawaz looked up at the peon dressed in a grey suit.

'Sir, Tasneem ma'am wants to meet you. It's urgent' he said, Fawaz nodded and asked the peon to leave.

He is in a very bad mood but he must maintain his calm, one mistake might spoil days and months of his hard work.

Fawaz washed his face, taking a deep breath he stared at his reflection.

'I can do this, I can do this' he motivated himself aloud. Adjusting his tie and coat he walked out of the washroom.

He knocked at the door and after getting an affirmative response he entered. Tasneem looked up at him, her stern expression turning into a soft one. Fawaz felt uncomfortable with the smile she is flashing at him, she has never done this before.

'Sit' she gestured him, he nodded taking his seat across the table from her.

'I spoke to Arshad yesterday at the wedding and he said something interesting to me. I didn't know you were a matchmaker as well' she said and Fawaz gulped, he got a hint of where this conversation is going.

'Maam, Zeeshan is my friend. Mr. Khan is my senior and like a father figure to me. He was worried and I asked his reason then he explained me. I wanted to ease his tension so I suggested this alliance' Fawaz explained calmly making sure he doesn't stammer or look nervous.

Tasneem nodded her head, she leaned back, her eyes piercing his, 'You did because you were concerned for him or you were hoping he would retire and you get his post?' she said calmly

Fawaz's mouth fell open. How did she know? He wasn't obvious was he?

Fawaz gulped feeling the heat but he shook his head, 'No Maam, I was genuinely concerned for him' he said sounding innocent. Tasneem smirked, she placed her palm on the table, her long nails tapping the glass table.