At Least You Tried

Raven's P.O.V

I got taken back to the club where I was taken upstairs by some buffy guys and I was with the old man once again. The police got me pretty good. Which was just the nice insult to already having me. I sighed as I looked at him and he shook his head. "Raven. I thought we had a deal. Don't you remember?" I knew all about it. He had to bring that up.

"For as long as you work with me, I'll be sure to help get what you want, along with me giving you some money." That was all he as of me to do. If he wouldn't have said that, I would have got the chance to kill him on the spot. "But now look where you're at. You now have no choice. All because you wanted to help some stray cat all of the street. What happened to the Raven that was going to kill me with no care about what would happen to her next?"

I made a fist as I looked down at the ground and growled. "I know this is what my brother would have done. He would of take one for the team." I muttered under breath as he stood up, having the cane support him standing and started to take steps towards me. "You know.... I want to show you something. Why don't you come with me?" He looked at my head before putting a finger under my chin to make me look up at him with his old and horrifying smile that just would guarantee death on the spot. He looked behind me at two of his guards as then they went to grab the wolf girl that was in the corner and taking her out of the room.

"Ever heard the story of the four maidens?" He asked as I became confused about why he would ask me this random question. 

"Four girls that were sisters and found this old man," I started to explain to him, remembering it from my heart. "An old wizard, who lives alone in the mountains, is visited by four sisters, who each in their own unique ways are kind to him. The first, Winter, encourages him to meditate and reflect; the second, Spring, brings him fruit and flowers and revitalizes his garden; the third, Summer, convinces him to step outside and embrace the world; and the fourth, Fall, urges him to be thankful for what he has." He clapped his hands and chuckled. "Seems like you remember it so well. What did this old man do once the girls did so many nice things for him?" "He gave them the.... power..." I felt my jaw drop as I now thought about all of this. 

He laughed and saw the look on my face. "Good job. Want a cookie? Why don't I show you the modern version of the story?" There was a room behind his desk as he went to the door and opened it. It was a very dark room and I couldn't even see anything. He wanted to have me inside, so I did just that to see what he is planning.

"Winter showed the old wizard what a good way to release anger is." He turned on a light, revealing a girl in white sitting in a chair, being bloody and breathing softly or not even breathing at all.

"Spring gave such a lovely face to beat up and just use as a punching bag while giving the old man tricks on how to eat and stay strong and healthy." Next was a girl with flowers around her chair, her head down as she had a kitchen knife in front of her.

"Summer gave him good reasons on why the other two sisters deserved to be like they are now. So she let the old man try tricks out on her and even let the man be happy of what he did to her and her others." A girl with a broken jaw and some burnt marks all over her face and body was shown next. He flipped the last switch to show an empty chair. 

"When Fall arrives, she'll know her mistake of doing the wrong things and give the powers back to the old man, letting him become the wizard that he once was." I looked at three girls as my eyes were wide. He went towards me and patted my shoulder before pulling a short blade out of his pocket with the hand that was free and gave a good gut check with the knife. I felt the blade inside of me and it's cold nature of it. 

"Kill Two Birds, I Get What I Want."