Chapter 43

McGucket Mansion

"Are you sure we should be doing this?", Pacifica asked covered in sweat.

"Don't worry Paz, this is perfectly natural." Mabel responded with her brow glistening.

"How did I let you talk me into this?", Pacifica asked

"Because you said you wanted to do something fun," Mabel said slightly out of breath.

"Ok, I did say that.", Pacifica said panting, "But, like, I didn't know it would be so physical."

"Working up a sweat," Mabel said wiping sweat off of her brow, "is part of the fun."

"Do you mean you really think this is fun?", Pacifica asked as she blew some stray hairs out of her face, "Are we even doing this the right way?"

"Of course it's fun. And everything worth doing," Mabel said looking her girlfriend in the eyes, "is worth doing the right way."

"So two hours of knitting matching sweaters is really all you want to do?", Pacifica asked as she leaned over and place a small kiss on Mabel's cheek causing her to blush.

"Well yeah, I want to do more of that in a bit.", Mabel said still blushing, "But I want to have these ready for when we decide to let people know about us. I know our friends and my family knows, but this is still a small town. We won't be able to hide this for too long."

"I know. And really I'm ready to let everyone know but my parents.", Pacifica said looking down at her half finished sweater then over at Mabel's nearly finished one, "I mean I have ways of stopping them from doing most things, but part of me wonders if this would send them over the edge. They've already tried to set up arranged marriages for me in the past, heck Marius was supposed to be at the party he met Grenda at in order to meet me and see if I would be a good match for him."

"Paz, honey," Mabel said sitting down her work to take Pacifica's hand, "You know I'd never let them do anything to hurt you. And believe me I have the power to stop them now."

"I know, but I still worry about it.", Pacifica said squeezing Mabel's hand, "They don't see that you and Dipper have made me a better person, they just see the two of you as corrupting me."

"If helping you realize there's more to life than money, then I'm all for corrupting you.", Mabel said kissing Pacifica causing her to blush, "And anyways, you make me a better person too."

"Really," Pacifica replied in a shocked tone. She never figured she was helping Mabel in any way.

"Yeah, you help ground me. When you're around I don't feel as flighty as I used to be," Mabel explained, "I'm still little miss sunshine, but I know I have to take things seriously now and not just to let things blow over. I know there are times to be silly and times to be completely serious, all because of you."

"Alright, to hell with my parents. Let's get these done so we can show them off," Pacifica said as she went back to work on the sweater with a renewed vigor.

Mystery Shack

Portable Motel Room

Wildbill is sitting in the room's recliner on the phone with the Piedmont Arson investigator, "Yes Detective Niobe, I'll be in Tuesday morning. I have a funeral Sunday, my godchildren's mother was one of the people killed in the semi accident last Monday. I'm going to be one of the Pallbearers. Her husband and I are going to be driving back down to Piedmont Monday, but it's nearly an eight hour drive even if we don't stop for gas or food. Alright I'll be in at ten for the interview. I'll pass on the condolences, thank you."