Chapter 50

Mystery Shack

After the twins had made it back to the Shack from their excursion, Dipper wanted to go straight up to the room to work out what all they saw but Mabel made him sit down and eat the lunch they had taken with them. His smashed sandwich was still pretty good for a peanut butter and jelly. Since they were at the Shack he was able to supplement the sandwich with some chips and an apple. Once she was sure he had ate Mabel let Dipper head up to the room the work on the board.

Dipper stared at the board some more and for some reason added orange trees to the board. He went ahead and added the theft of Bill's statue to the board. He also added the disappearance of the satyr Nigel, the fight with the Catmen, the death of the Hand Witch, the name Morrighan (those two he connected), Grenda and Candy's run in with the Candyman, Nate's anxiety attack (which he instantly connected to his and Mabel's attack), and his new position as the Mediator.

Mabel came into the room as he was finishing up, looking over at the board she looked as if there was suddenly a light bulb going off over her head. Looking at Dipper she said, "I just remembered some thing. I've seen trees like those orange ones before."

"You have, where?", Dipper asked as he was trying to decide if there was anything else he should add to the board. He wanted to have it somewhat ready for when Tony, Francis, Pacifica, and Wendy showed up after school.

"There was a set like them out on Scuttlebutt Island when Tony and I fought the Kitsune," Mabel said as she was still looking over the board thinking it could use some sprucing up, "And now that I think about it, I don't remember them still being there when the fight was over."

"So these trees have appeared near two of our battles, but disappear after the fight was over.", Dipper said as he scratched his chin. He went ahead and attached the orange trees to the Catmen and to the Kitsune but with a different color string as he was just guessing on their parts.

"I'm trying to remember if I've seen them anywhere else but I'm not getting anything," Mabel said as she went and sat on her bed. Something was still bugging her, but it was really just there at the back of her mind. She couldn't get it to come out.

Sensing her discomfort Palmer climbed up on the bed and started lightly rubbing the top of her head.

Realizing he was getting nowhere with the board Dipper pulled out his Journal and began writing down his observations about the Catmen. He called Mabel over to ask her to draw out a figure of one of them on the page so he knew where to not write. She pulled her phone out and began looking over the pictures she had taken and using them as reference she drew a picture that took up a quarter of the page and under it she labeled them as 'Hick Cats'. When she was done she gave Dipper back the Journal. He took time to add in what observations he's made: They were fully furred during day time so most likely not -thropes of any type, they were fully bipedal, from the way they talked they were carnivores and not above preying on humans, lack of respect for the at least one of the forest's police force, and they had some sort of modesty as the where loincloths. He'd have to go out with a group later to do more research on them.

Looking up he saw they still had around forty-five minutes till the gang should be out of school. After all the running and fighting he'd done today he decided to go ahead and get a shower.

Bunker

Looking at the size of the room they were putting together, Testosteraur knew they were not putting together another Lab room or kitchen. It was almost tall enough that Leaderaur could not only stand up in it but palm the ceiling. It was also around the length of a football field and almost half that in width. It was also one of the few rooms that had more than one entrance. There was a door on either end that led back to tunnels that eventually led back to the main room. There was also a third tunnel that had lead to had opened around two thirds of the way up the east wall that Ford and Fiddleford had sealed off with glass from inside the ship they were getting supplies from. It had already been tested to be mostly impervious. They set up some control banks and made it an observation post to watch over this room. He finally began to understand, this was going to be a room to test their mettle in combat and other skills needed in their upcoming trials.