Chapter 53

Gillian's Hideout

James was seated watching the news on a portable TV he picked up after he and Gillian got back from watching the end of the ambush. They were going to go out tomorrow to pick up better supplies. Right now he mainly wanted to catch up on the news of the attack. Luckily the TV up the local channels.

"And in local news, a military convoy headed to the Hirsch Army Reserve base in Portland was attacked by members of a local militia. Thanks to video provided by a couple hiking near the incident we can clearly see the ambush was prevented by a group of costumed people that included the four responsible for stopping the bank robbery last week. Reports also have confirmed that one of these heroes is the same armored man that saved local business man Preston Northwest from an attack by a former employee back at the beginning of the month. We'll have more information on these incidents tonight during the eleven o'clock news. This is Sandra Jimenez for Gravity Falls News. Good Night."

"So these 'heroes' have been working around here for a little bit," Gillian said as she walked into the room.

"Yeah, they seem to be doing a lot of good for the area.", James said looking at Gillian, "Maybe we should just leave the items with them, we can always find another one that should work."

"We'll see, I still want to meet the new bearer of the Tome and make sure she is worthy.", Gillian said as she turned and walked out of the room.

Valentino Household

Janice and Gregory Valentino had just finished watching the evening news while waiting for Robbie to return home. Gregory headed up t bed as he had to run to Portland in the morning to pick up a customer who wanted to be buried with the rest of his family. This left Janice alone to think. While as parents they were happy to see him returning to his old self, appearance wise at least, she was upset that he had been spending more and more time away from home. At least his new girlfriend seemed to be a good influence on him, but really so was Tambry. Janice really wanted to know where that relationship went wrong.

"I'm home," Robbie called as he came in the front door.

"Robert dear, could you come in here.", Janice called back to her son.

"Alright mom," he said as he walked into the living room, "What can I do for you?"

"I just want to talk for a bit, is that ok?", Janice said as she pointed towards towards the empty seat near the end of the sofa.

"Sure mom," Robbie said as he sat down to talk to her, "Have I done anything wrong?"

"Well, other than staying away from home too much recently. No, I can't say that you have.", Janice said looking over at her son, he had changed so much recently. He was showering more often, back to wearing respectable clothes again, had cleaned his room so much she could serve dinner off of the floor, and he even started to listen to what she and her husband had to say.

"I'm sorry about that mother, I'm just spending time with my new friends. If you want I can make sure to be home at a better time," Robbie said as he looked over at his mother, "I'm really just trying to grow better so when I do leave the house I will know how to care for myself. Blair is helping me look into some college courses."

"That's real responsible of you Robert, I'm glad to hear you're finally taking your studies serious.", Janice said as she looked over at her son.

"Thanks mom, I just want to make sure I have the best future that I can." Robbie said as he looked his mother in the eyes.

"Sounds good dear," Janice said as her mind began to slowly fog over for moment then it became clear again, "With that attitude honey, I guess it's ok for you to stay out as long as you need as long as you make it to school and continue to get good grades."