When things go bump

"How's your soup sweetie?" I asked leaning against the doorframe to the lounge watching her carefully.

"The bestest! Sit with me!" Avari beamed slapping the floor beside her and Peanut. Her eyes going back to the cartoon on TV.

I complied and sank to the floor looking at the TV, gently placing my hand in her back giving it a rub every so often.

I soon turned my attention to her long black hair, which now reached the bottom of her back. It shone in the sun light and looked beautiful today.

"Ava? Baby what else did you see today at school?" I asked softly. Her spoon stopped mid lift, I watched as she shifted before looking at me.

"I- he told me not to tell you.."

I blinked "Oh, is it a secret?" I asked.

She nodded "But I told him that I have to tell you because he's not a nice person. That he's a baddie and you fight baddies. Don't you mommy?"

I nodded "I certainly do sweetheart."

My mind went to the picture burning in my back pocket, I knew it had to go into the box. But I didn't want to leave her side just yet.

"Shall I draw him instead? I can show you but not tell you."

I smiled "You're a clever girl."

She returned my smile and gave me a small hug "Love you mommy."

I pressed a kiss on her head "I love you too angel."

***

"Mommy?" Avari spoke as she slowly padded into the bedroom looking for me.

I looked up from the ironing I was putting away. Seeing her with a piece of paper in her hand, I had the inclination she had drew this new baddie she has saw.

"Yes darling?"

"I drawed him." She answered holding the paper up to me.

My blood ran cold seeing the photo but I kept a smooth face and nodded. "He's a funny character. What are they?" I asked pointing to them.

"Horsey feet. He has horse feet but only two and he stands really tall. Are you sure you can get him mommy? He's really scary?" She asked twisting her head at me.

I crouched down and smile "When have I ever let you down? Don't worry, I'll get him. Now you gonna get Peanut whilst I run a bath."

"Yep!" She replied running out the room to get him.

I ran Avari a bath, the usual routine we took after her school days so that I could make sure her hair was dry before we headed out into the night. I looked back at my little girl to see her rubbing her eyes, the usual sign of tiredness.

"You tired?" I asked helping her undress.

"No. Peanut stay." She ordered as he was sat on the floor. I smiled and made sure she was in the bath and sat down.

Whilst I bathed her, we spoke about anything, from special soup to Peanut.

"Mommy, am I weird?" She asked as I scrubbed her hair.

I paused looking around to see her face "Why would you think that baby? And no. No you're not."

"Tommy at school said I was weird and a freak." She frowned. "What's a freak?"