Control

My eyes stayed fixed on the discarded bottle of water that sat on the floor, the clear liquid had now settled from its lapping around. The condensation slowly trickling over the neck of the bottle and dripping on to the white marble floor.

I didn't know when or how I had slipped down onto the floor with my back pressed against the cold cabinet doors. The silence of the house echoed around me as I began to believe that I was here alone. That Zak and Ava weren't spending time together, that I had been deserted again.

A breath quivered in my chest as I went over the incident time and time again wonder what Zak had seen and heard. Had he heard my defence in his honour? Or Nick's.... Nick's lies that he pledged. Had Zak heard anything? Or had he simply walked in to see myself and Nick in close quarters and presumed the worst?

With a throbbing beginning to start in my head, I got off the floor and disposed of the bottle into the bin before heading for the bedroom. Sitting on the softness of the bed I waited until Zak was ready to talk. If there was one thing I knew about that man, it was that he would talk, on his terms and only when he was ready.

It took almost 2 hours for him to start looking for me, the search ending abruptly when I was sat on the end of the bed waiting patiently

"I trust you." I stated making his brows rise up. "I trust you with my heart and with the one thing most precious in the world.. Our daughter."

"I would never heard Ava." He answered dropping his bag down, absent of a little wolf toy that was now most likely back with Avari.

"I trust you, but you don't trust me..." I continued.

Zak's head shook side to side in disagreement "That is where you are wrong, I don't trust him. I don't. And when you are there like that with him..." He trailed off clenching his jaw.

"Like what?"

"You know what I me-"

"No I don't, like what Zak? What did you hear or see?"

"You both! Together like I never existed."

Bewildered I raked my hair back with my fingers "You saw me cornered Zak, you saw me cornered by Nick as he spewed his lies and I jumped to your defence. That... That is what you saw."

"Why the fuck was he here anyway?!" He seethed.

"To apologise for what he said."

"And he couldn't do that through text? A call? On the doorstep?!"

"I didn't invite him in.."

"So he forced himself into my home with my little girl here? Did he see her? Speak to her?!"

I nodded.

My eyes went to his hands as he clenched them into fists causing the air in his knuckles to pop. "What else did he say?"