Broken communications

"What do you want Nick?"

Silence filled the line before he finally answered my question.

"To head your voice.. I miss you."

My heart took a dive in my chest and floated down to my stomach. "Well things change don't they?"

He hummed back.  "Where are you living now?"

"Vegas. You still in New England?" I asked already seeing the distance of America in my mind.

"Yeah.."

We were essentially across the whole country from each other.

"I miss you." He repeated causing me to sigh.

"No. No you don't."

"I do."

"Where's Veronique?"

"Her moms. She took Ana and Chloe."

I frowned "Why didn't you go?"

"She didn't... I didn't want to go." He slurred instantly confirming my suspicions.

"You've been drinking. Sleep it off."

"No I haven't. I tried to take a nap, I couldn't sleep when all I could think about was you."

"Really?" I sighed.

"Yeah. Remember when we used to sneak off?"

I remembered.

"No. Perhaps you should take another Nap? Relieve some of that alcohol that's still in your system."

"I'm not drunk. I want to see you. You rang me needing help and I shut you off .. I'm sorry."

"Yeah well I don't need help anymore. I found it." I replied looking at Zak's side of the bed.

"Can you come to me?"

"No. No I can't Nick.."

"I'll come to you then?"

I shook my head "No Nick. Whatever it is you think you miss.. It's not happening."

"But I miss you Scarlett, don't you miss me?"

"I do. As a friend. We can't go back. Not now, not ever. We are different people, I am a different person." I answered thinking on Avari.

"Well then we can relive old times? Please? I just need... I just need you." He mumbled.

"No sweetie. You need Veronique. If you're not happy then go to her, if things aren't right then sort them. Don't mess her around, not again. You're better than the lies and sneaking around. What we did was wrong.. What you promised me? That was wrong too."

"I'm sorry. Please forgive me. I just think-"

Zak burst into the room singing to his heart content in a hope to wake me up but I was sat in bed with a shocked look on my face.

"I-is that Zak?" Nick asked in my ear as I gulped feeling like I'd been caught out... Doing nothing.

"Um. Yeah. Yeah it is."

"Y- I... You and him? Since when?!" Nick demanded.

"A few w- it doesn't matter." I frowned not wanting to pick over my relationship with Zak, to his arch nemesis.

"Is it serious?"

I smiled looking at Zak who was interested. "Yeah. Yeah it is and I'm happy."

He scoffed "Happy with being second best and cheated on. You know I never took you for a mug Scarlett."

"I-"

"No, you know what? You're both welcome to each other. Don't ever ring me again."

"I didn't ring y-"

"You're dead to me." He hung up leaving me open mouthed.

Taking my phone away from my ear, I hung up. To hear that from a person who I used to love and would have done anything for, it felt like a hard punch in the gut. So shocked by his outburst and rage, I didn't hear Zak until his hand took hold of my face.

"I said who was that?"

"N-nick."

His face grew moody "What did he want?"

"I, uh. Apparently I'm dead to him now." I replied.

Zak's face softened seeing that I was visibly upset, sitting on the bed beside me, he tucked my hair behind my ear.

"Are you okay?"

I pulled a fake smile "Yeah, why wouldn't I be?"

"Because I know that, that shit hurt."

"Really hurt." I whispered wiping a tear away.

"And you haven't got to put on a show for me." He added wiping the next one. "But don't waste tears on him. Don't cry over him, not anymore."

I nodded "You're right. He uh- he's really changed huh?"

Zak shrugged "Things weren't the same when you left Scar, people change. Sometimes not for the better and it's not your fault either. He did this."

I nodded tossing my phone aside.

"Can I have a hug please?"

He smiled "Of course you can sweetheart. Come here."

I shuffled into his arms and held him tightly.

"Don't cry, you were always too good for him. Hell, you're too good for me, but I love you and that is what counts, right?"

I nodded feeling a little better in his company. "Thank you, for everything."

"You're welcome. Now cheer up. Me and Ava made you breakfast." He smiled sitting back.

"You have? Really?" I asked surprised.

"Hmm. Put some clothes on though, I might get distracted otherwise." He smirked leaning forward to give me a quick peck before he raced off.

I sat in bed mulling over the phone all with Nick, not understand his hate towards Zak when it was in fact Nick who did them wrong.

After a few minutes and a pain in my skull I stopped thinking and with a stupid smile I climbed out of bed and found my nightdress. Pulling it on, I slowly made my way of the bedroom to have breakfast with my little family.

Forgetting all about Nick and his blast from the past.