Avari

I rubbed soothing circles on Avari's back as we sat speaking to the Bishop. He seemed like a friendly person, his tall and large build with small glasses and strawberry blonde hair had me at ease.

Bishop Long had came in and sat with us for almost an hour talking about Avari's attachment. She had been open and had even raced off into the bedroom to get the small container of drawings that I had kept. His friendly approach to her had me at ease.. Or as much as I could.

"I performed Zak's." He mentioned making me look over to Zak.

"H-he never mentioned."

Zak pulled a small smile "I wanted someone I could trust."

His phone went off making him shoot a glare at it across the room, "Sorry, I'll be a second." He whispered excusing himself to take the call.

I watched him leave the room grateful for his caring nature in all this. "He was stern that I do it, I had to reschedule my appointments around but I'm glad I did," He smiled at Avari who was ruffling Gracie's fur. "You two must be very important to him.."

I smiled politely "Long time friends."

He nodded sipping his tea "I have a few things, I'd like to discuss.." He added.

My eyes moved to Avari "Hey sweetie, why don't you take Gracie into the garden and play some ball whilst we talk a little more."

I felt a little relief when Zak returned and sat beside me on the couch rather than opposite me.

She nodded getting up and walking to the door with Gracie. "Mommy? Does this mean I won't see the monsters anymore?" She asked cocking her head to the side.

"Maybe darling."

Her eyes went to the Bishop. "But if you do, then I have to go home."

Bishop long shifted to look solely at her "Why wouldn't you want to go home?" He asked softly.

"Because I like this house, it's really big. I like Gracie but I like Zak too, he's funny and he has lots of cars. Mommy used to watch him on TV all the time. Now they are friends again, I think she's happier cause he's here."

I mentally cringed as Zak chuckled slightly beside me. I gave him a sly elbow to shut him up because out of all this her only concern was for me.

God bless her soul.

"And you don't think mommy was happy?"

She shrugged "She used to cry, but never in front of me. Sometimes it was in her sleep, or when she saw Zak. But said it was dust. I think it's cause she missed him. Now she's happy." Her eyes met mine and I pulled a smile despite the tears in my eyes.

I felt Zak's fingers hold the tips of mine just out of sight of Avari.

"Well how about I make those monsters go away? And I help mommy?" The bishop asked.

Her eyes lit up "You can do that? And I can stay with Gracie forever?"

"Avari baby.." I whispered not wanting her to build up hope on something that was impossible.

"One step at a time yeah?" He asked making her nod before she skipped out the door to find Gracie.

I let out a breath of air and rubbed my face "I'm sorry."