Rainbow feelings

"I love you mommy."

4 words that never failed to make my heart swell and a smile to fill my face.

"I love you too baby girl." I replied as her little arms looped around my neck giving me a cuddle.

With her big birthday badge pinned to her chest, Avari skipped back to the small loot of presents I had scrimped and saved for over the past few months. Making sure I got everything she had asked for. It was the first time I had resentment for Zak and his money. Because what I had saved, was pocket change to him.

Sitting in the little pile she picked up a book and placed it on her lap looking at the cover with a smile. Beside her sat glitter boards, books, DVDS, colouring books, crayons, pencils, clothes, a pair of heely shoes and all the protective gear I could buy, a doodle bug and a kids camera.

I placed her cards on the shelf  when the door bell rang making her eyes snap to me.

"Visitors this early?" I grumbled stepping over the balloons I had spent 2 hours of last night blowing up as well as putting birthday banners up.

Pulling open the door I paused seeing Zak's shocked expression. It was then I remembered I had on next to nothing under his hoody.

I had small shorts, bootie shorts if you want to split hairs, and a sports bra. His hoody was now acting as my dress.

"I am wearing clothes. Close your mouth." I spoke stepping aside to let him in.

His tall and equally broad frame stepped in and towered over me. "I wouldn't complain if you were naked under it. In fact I would kind of like the id-"

"Avari looks who's here!" I sang cutting him off, he threw me a grin before turning his attention to her as she came over to give him a hug.

"Hello Zak." She greeted snuggling into a spot on his neck.

I almost pouted having wanted to do that myself...

Time has changed Scarlett. That spot isn't yours anymore. Holly has taken that place now.

Avari pulled back and looked at him before her eyebrows twitched. "You wear glasses? Like mommy?" She asked.

Zak looked up at me "Since when?"

"Pregnancy. Only for reading."

He nodded "But to answer your question. Yes I do. I like to wear contact lenses a lot. But, this morning, in here extra early. I haven't even done my hair and you know what?" He asked pulling off his beanie to reveal it.

Avari giggled instantly at the unruly mess "It's gone crazy. But I had to come and see you first."

She smiled happily before pulling him over to her presents.

"Oh!" He exclaimed.

"What?" She asked.

"I almost forgot, stay here." He instructed running out the front door and returning with Gracie and a present bag.

Of course, as soon as Gracie walked in wagging her tail furiously at Avari, all presents were off. The VIP guest had arrived and Avari was chuffed.