Karma's Kick

6 years earlier..

I chewed my nail looking at the date in the calendar on my phone. I was late.. Not a day, not 2 days but by 4 weeks. I paced the bathroom trying to think of some logical explanation. Maybe it was stress? Maybe I gained a few too many pounds? Maybe Mother Nature skipped me this month? Who am I kidding?

Picking up the packet, I sat down on the toilet and read the instructions carefully before doing the test.

Placing it on the side, I finished up and washed my hands before sitting on the edge of the bath waiting.

This was gonna be bad, I could feel it in my stomach. The anxiety, the dread, how I wanted the world to swallow me whole. It shouldn't be happening.. We were careful. We were always careful!

After the allotted time, I picked up the test and read the words.

My heart plummeted.

"Oh god, oh good god." I cradled my stomach in happiness and fear. This wasn't suppose to happen, it wasn't suppose to be like this!

Pulling out my phone, I shook my head at the screensaver of myself, Aaron, Nick, Zak and Devin.

I text Devin and waited for a response, he had just moved to California which meant he was constantly busy getting himself settled in.

This was a disaster, my already breaking heart was contending with one problem. I didn't need to be blessed with a baby, I wasn't fit enough to be a mom.

Holding the phone in my shaky hands, I text Zak.

- We need to talk..

Zak -What about?

- I'm late...

Zak - Why are you telling me? Get rid of it.

- Zak.. The baby might be yours...

Zak - I don't want kids. Do the right thing and book yourself a clinic. We were a mistake. I'm with Holly, I want to make a go of things, I don't want you. I don't love you, I never have and never will, you need to get that into your head.

I dropped my phone as I covered my mouth. Tears flooded my eyes making it impossible for me to see as I cried at the text message he had sent.

My cries turned to sobs as I read the message over and over again. Each word cutting like a knife. I couldn't explain when it happened but it did, I had fallen in love with a player and I had gotten my heart broken more than I wanted to admit. But even now, if he turned up, knocked on my door and gave me a small smile.. I'd have him in a heartbeat. Something was wrong in my mind, in my heart. I couldn't say no to him. Maybe he knew that, maybe he acted on that too..

I gasped for air when my phone rang beside me.

Devin

"Hey!"

"H-hey."

"Scarlett? What's up? Have you been crying?" He asked.

"Y-yeah. I'm so sorry."

"Sorry? Sorry for what?"

"I- I'm late Devin."

I paused as the line went quiet.

"You're pregnant aren't you?"