† Chp. II †

Chapter soundtrack: 'The Anthem' by Good Charlotte.

† Chp. II †

 II †

___

Robin races across the plain, the steeds hooves pounding against the dry ground. Her usual grin sits planted on her face, as the wind fans out her hair.

She has been riding for a couple of days now, being unexpectedly delayed by a hoard of orcs. The beasts had come at her from different angles, causing Robin to change her path and direct them off a cliffs edge. Unfortunately, this resulted in Robin also losing her direction. Stumbling upon an abandoned troll cave, she had a field day collecting all the best looking riches, but eventually navigated herself back in the right direction.

Now she rides through the field which lays between Trollshaws and her destination. Her ears pick up the sound of waterfalls thundering in the distance, telling her that she is not far. This trip is her favourite to make, as it is always one of her quickest and most promising raids.

Elves are so resourceful, but so greedy when it comes to their treasure. They hold so much but give so little, hence why Robin enjoys robbing them blind. You'd think that they would have smarter guards, but their all brawn and not enough brain.

But, although elves are a blast to burgle, stealing from dwarves has always been Robins personal favourite. They really are the greediest in all the land.

Robin chuckles as she remembers the time she made a dwarf so drunk, that he actually led her down to the treasury and helped her pile riches into her sack, but that's a story for another time.

Now I know what you're wondering... why?

Why does Robin steal? Has she had bad experiences with rich people, or is she just selfish?

Well, the truth is that she is the complete opposite of selfish. In fact, her whole outlaw life has been devoted into helping those in need. Her earnings come from those who are too selfish to give, to those who are too hungry to live.

She likes to call it robbing the rich to feed the poor.

But another fact underlies the meaning of her 'hobby', one which she holds dearly, but is not open to share.

Many would consider Robin a dirty thief or a nasty scoundrel, and honestly, she doesn't care. She is doing what she loves, something others are too afraid to do.

You see, people in Middle Earth are always controlled by the way they are born, not by the way they choose to live. Elves have to remain well groomed and elegant, dwarves have to remain stubborn and surrounded by riches, hobbits have to remain quiet and reluctant to exploring the outside world.