† Chp. XXXIV †

Chapter soundtrack: 'How Far We've Come' by Matchbox 20.

= cue the music

† Chp. XXXIV †

 XXXIV †

___

After two days of racing across rocky plains, through dark woods, over rolling hills, and across shallow streams, our destination comes into view.

The immensely detailed stone structure of Minas Tirith towers high above the plains of Gondor, the striking kingdom radiating great wealth and power. It is quite evident as to why this place has earnt the title 'City of Kings'.

With a curved barrier, yet astonishing height, the city of man resembles that of the looming mountains which rise behind the gleaming structure. It's pale walls carved from rich stone radiate sunlight, giving the kingdom a divine, heaven-like appearance. The city glimmers like a spike of pearl and silver. It is rather spectacular.

Okay, enough with the fancy talk. The place does look pretty awesome. Although, I'm hoping that it's appearence reflects the atmosphere.

It may come as a suprise, the fact that I have never visited, or rather 'raided' Minas Tirith. And it is for good reasoning.

The kingdom sits too close to Mordor, and that place is damn scary. I am well aware of the destruction in which evil can unleash upon man.

However, today it looks as though I am facing my fears. For although a gleaming 'City of Kings' blesses my vision, a short distance away brews the threshold of evil, darkness gnawing and writhing within it's black gates, awaiting it's chance to release wrath and terror across Middle Earth.

Well, didn't that dull the mood.

Our steeds race through the entrance of Minas Tirith, and guards chase in pursuit, however we are quick to leave them in our dust.

That's what they get for leaving their front door open.

The ivory path continues to wind and bend as if we are navigating our way through a large maze, although Gandalf seems to know where he is going, and let's just say I don't doubt the knowledge of the wizard.

"Where are we going?" Pippin questions, basically shouting above the battering of hooves against stone.

"To the top so we can chuck you over." I reply, grinning in amusement.

People jump out of the way as our steeds come barreling past, and I feel a rush of adrenaline rip through my body at the sight of our altitude.

Suddenly, it appears as though we have reached the top, for a courtyard displaying merely a turf of vibrant grass and a strewn tree comes into sight. Gandalf dismounts Shadowfax, and I follow his actions, sliding off Marian and lifting Pippin from the saddle.