† Chp. XLVII †

Chapter soundtrack: 'Believer' by Imagine Dragons.

= cue music

† Chp. XLVII †

 XLVII †

___

I can feel the air leaving my lungs, the bitter taste spreading through my mouth, and the sharp pain searing through my chest as my heart tears at the sight of Koda's limp body falling against the dry ground. Stumbling, I continue to rush forward, my vision growing clouded as a stinging sensation crawls up my throat.

A green mist pours throughout the corners of my vision, flooding the battle field with an unearthly aura. Though no hint of my attention is taken to the startling occurrence, as my eyes remain focused on the beloved harad who is one of many bodies laying upon the slaughter fields.

Sliding to my knees, my hands shake as I lift his head, and I frantically search for any signs of life. His eyes slightly flutter, causing the smallest spark of hope to light within my heart.

"Koda!" I call with a quivering voice. "Koda, please wake up!"

Nothing.

Tears begin to fall down my cheeks as I softly lower his head, turning my gaze to his wound. Blood rapidly flows from his chest, staining his clothes with a dark crimson.

Holding my breath, I press my hand down against the wound in hope of slowing the bleeding. Thick clots of blood pool out from the gaps between my fingers, staining my palms with the sickly liquid.

My throat restricts as I choke down tears, once again drifting my gaze to his paling face. An expression of serenity sits upon his features, one in which I have never seen. And quite frankly, it frightens me.

"Koda, please." I breath out, choking on my words. "I need you."

There is no response, not even the slight twitch of an eyelid.

My blood-stained hand rapidly shakes as I bring two fingers to place against his pulse.

Nothing.

He's gone.

With a sorrowful cry which makes my mouth sting, I place my forehead against his own, tears flooding down my face as I can feel my throat restricting, making my breaths ragged and painful.

He can't be dead. He can't be.

A dry, sinister laugh raises my misty gaze.