† Chp. XVII †

Chapter soundtrack: 'Charlie Brown' by Coldplay.

† Chp. XVII †

 XVII †

___

"A red sun rises, blood has been spilled this night." Legolas utters, his eyebrows furrowed as he looks to the ground in despair, before continuing his trek across the hills.

After discovering that the hobbits are being taken to Isengard, Aragorn accompanied by Gimli and Legolas follow the trail without so much as a rest. Eager to rescue their friends, the trio cross fields and rock ridden cliffs in pursuit. But now, with the elf's new observation, tension rises at the thought of a great loss.

Suddenly, the loud shrill of a horse grabs their attention, and the trio hastily duck behind boulders in order to hide from the unknown posse. Hooves thunder against the ground, enough to create the illusion of a brewing storm, and the riders soon come to sight.

The men are vast in numbers as they sit upon their steeds, banners of Rohan raised high, while the trio remain unnoticed by the large group. However, Aragorn has a change of mind, and the man steps out of hiding as he shouts a message to the horsemen.

"Riders of Rohan! What news from the Mark?"

A signal from the lead causes the pack to turn in direction, surrounding the three in an encasement of horses and spears. Aragorn raises his hands, stunned by the array of weapons in which threaten he and his company.

"What business does an elf, a man and a dwarf have in the Riddermark?" The head of the horsemen demands, as he cuts through the barrier with his steed. "Speak quickly!"

"Give me your name, horsemaster, and I shall give you mine." Gimili replies, staring up at the man with a slight nod.

This irritates the leader, and he begrudgingly dismounts his horse, staunching towards the dwarf with a look of distaste. Aragorn places his hand on Gimli's shoulder as an act of reassurance.

"I would cut off your head, dwarf," The horseman seethes. "If it stood but a little higher from the ground."

"You would die before your stroke fell!" Legolas remarks, swiftly loading his bow into the direction of the leader. This gesture comes as a surprise to the dwarf, and Aragorn pushes the nocked arrow aside as all spears are now focused towards the elf.

"I am Aragorn, son of Arathorn." Aragorn states, easing the tension. "This is Gimli, son of Gloin, and Legolas of the Woodland realm. We are friends of Rohan and of Theoden, your king."

The horseman drops his gaze to the ground at the name of Rohan's king.

"Theoden no longer recognizes friend from foe, not even his own kin." He states, removing his helmet. The spears are withdrawn as the head of horsemen continues.