† Chp. L †

Chapter soundtrack: 'I See Fire' by Ed Sheeran.

= cue music

† Chp. L †

 L †

___

"Frodo has passed beyond my sight." Gandalf states in a grim mutter, pacing back to his position within the centre of Minas Tirith's Great Hall, his spirit low in fear of the ring bearer's fate.

"The darkness is deepening."

Legolas crosses his arms over his chest, his head slightly lowered as he observes the wizard's demeanour.

Eomer stands close to his side, the rider's structure broad in comparison to the slim elf.

Gimli casually rests in the steward's chair, a seat now empty due to Denethor leaping from the peak of Minas Tirith while ablaze. The dwarf takes a puff of his pipe, before passing it to the outlaw beside him.

Robin sits next to Gimli on the steps which lead to Gondor's throne. She takes a drag, allowing the smoke to freely drift from her lips. In her other hand, she flips one of her stained daggers.

Aragorn stands with crossed arms, his back towards the others.

"If Sauron had the ring we would know it." He remarks with a hardened, unwavering tone.

"It's only a matter of time." Gandalf utters in deep concern, his voice soft in apprehension as he stops to face the man. Silence arises, and the wizard continues.

"He has suffered a defeat, yes, but behind the walls of Mordor our enemy is regrouping."

"Let him stay there! Let him rot!" Gimli barks up, smoke puffing from his mouth as he takes another draw of his pipe. "Why should we care?"

Gandalf furrows his brows as he turns his view to the rowdy dwarf.

"Because ten thousand orcs now stand between Frodo and Mount Doom." The wizard claims, slowing pacing forward with a stern gaze, before turning to face the direction of Aragorn.

Robin quietly stands to her feet and slinks over to Legolas. She slides in beside him, and leans in close enough for only the elf to hear her restrained voice.

"Thanks for comforting me last night." She whispers, her gaze remaining ahead. "However, if you tell anybody, you'll regret it."

"How so?" The elf questions, raising his brows.

There is a moment of silence between the two, filled by their unfocused attention on Aragorn and Gandalf's debate, before Robin thinks up a seemingly good consequence.